Including all school reports or just the latest?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Re: Including all school reports or just the latest?

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Capers.

It's reassuring that these may have been suggestions.

I also agree with the point you've addressed to Poppet, and the same thought had crossed my mind. A good year 4 report, followed by a poor year 5 report would obviously take some explaining - but a less than satisfactory year 4 report followed by a really good year 5 report is another matter!

Appeal panels do understand how children mature, and can be very receptive to the 'recent, rapid progress' argument.

I think Poppet needs to decide which approach will look best, and which she'd feel most comfortable with - (a) a very good recent report on its own, or (b) proof of recent rapid progress (and perhaps the promise of even more to come!).

To my mind, either would be acceptable!
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thanks all - it is great to have someone to talk through some of these issues.
Poppet3

Post by Poppet3 »

Yes indeed DC172 - it's a real moral boost to read such thoughtful, sensitive and well informed advice isn't it...makes you feel far less stranded! THANKYOU so much Etienne and Capers! I'm very much to ing and froing on what will be the most beneficial approach for my DC. DC's erratic efforts prior to year 6 achieved effort grades of only 2s and 3s with 4Bs for the key subjects. I'm worried by remarks in DC's end of year 5 reports about DC's tendency to be slow and to try to get away with doing as little as possible at times. Such a lot of growing up has happened since last summer and the leap forward to 1s for effort and 5s plus a predicted 6 has been marvellous to see...I just hope not too late for convincing an appeal panel! :?
DC17C

Questions for moderators re appealing / mitigating cirmumsta

Post by DC17C »

Hello I hope I have followed the instructions correctly!!- I am back again trying to prepare for next week when I can get appeal paperwork. I have sent info i plan to use for my appeal to the drop box I guess I would be happy to share more info to all after the appeal but not at the moment. ( hope that is reasonable)

Questions- if you lovely mods feel able to comment:

Is it too long if 3 pages of one side of A4? + the evidence to be attached

Should I put as much as I have in the mitigating circumstances - ie include the back ground or just stick to the fact that I have a diagnosis.

The Diagnosis document is quite long - do I include the whole thing as it explains quite a lot about how dyspraxia affects DS and what is recommended or just the page with the diagnosis?

Is my explanation for "on the day reasonable"?

Is there anything I should leave out?

Many thanks DC17c
Poppet3

Post by Poppet3 »

Now that we're drawing closer and closer to being able to start our appeal I'm constantly thinking about what to include/not to include. Would class work marked as 5c in October 2012 be considered indicative of a high level 5 by the end of the year? I have a piece of science work from October that appears well done and has lots of positive teacher comments that is marked as a 4a /5c, being 1 mark off a 5c. My DC has been asked to take SATS level 6 in the summer in science but I'm wondering if, although it's a good piece of work to submit, it being marked as 4a/5c in October might make level 6 predictions look a bit of a stretch. ...I'd really welcome any thoughts.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I did not think the science SATs were still done just Literacy and maths- or is it a teacher assessment?
also does any one know about SPaG - Ds seems to think they are doing some sort of different literacy SAT
Etienne

Re: Questions for moderators re appealing / mitigating cirmu

Post by Etienne »

We rarely have time to read whole presentations, but a bit of flattery about lovely moderators always goes down well, and we'll make an exception as this is the first such request of the year! :)
Is it too long if 3 pages of one side of A4? + the evidence to be attached
Much too long! :roll:

Have you read the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lots of advice about presentation to be found there, including "Letter of appeal for Mary".
You will also find answers to questions you haven't even thought of!
Should I put as much as I have in the mitigating circumstances - ie include the back ground or just stick to the fact that I have a diagnosis.
Read the Q&As with regard to how to present extenuating circumstances!
The Diagnosis document is quite long - do I include the whole thing as it explains quite a lot about how dyspraxia affects DS and what is recommended or just the page with the diagnosis?
Difficult to comment without seeing it.
Is my explanation for "on the day reasonable"?
Probably - but it would carry more weight if it came from a professional. (Similarly, "It is recommended that a child with ***** should be paired up with a buddy to help in the early days of transition".)
What really matters is evidence, evidence, evidence!
Is there anything I should leave out?
"I would encourage the panel to consider the following points, which I believe show that X is extremely well suited to the rigors [American?] of a Selective Secondary Education and consequently attending the XYZ School." - It's superfluous!

Be concise! Ideally the evidence you attach should speak for itself.
Etienne
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thank you Ettienne- your help is much appreciated - I did not get an Ed Psych report as the OT did not think it was needed for a diagnosis -would this help ? I will contact the OT and ask for their opinion re "the on the day issue" and see if they can provide any support.
If I sent the relevant bit of the OT report would you be willing to have a look?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If I sent the relevant bit of the OT report would you be willing to have a look?
Yes - so long as it's before tomorrow when we shall be overwhelmed by Allocations Day!
I did not get an Ed Psych report as the OT did not think it was needed for a diagnosis -would this help ?
Difficult to know in advance. It would at least be written with a view to assessing whether entry to a grammar school would be appropriate - but it depends what it actually says! :)

Read the Q&As - http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Poppet3 wrote:Would class work marked as 5c in October 2012 be considered indicative of a high level 5 by the end of the year? I have a piece of science work from October that appears well done and has lots of positive teacher comments that is marked as a 4a /5c, being 1 mark off a 5c.
That looks all right to me, but take it with you on the day of the hearing (don't include it with your written submission).

Science is teacher assessed.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now