Heartfelt thoughts

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sbates

Heartfelt thoughts

Post by sbates »

As a mum who has been through the appeal and came out the other end on a positive note I wanted to let all those know who are still battling that I think of what you are going through every day and follow your posts with great interest. I don't think I will ever experience anything quite so traumatic, unjust, and simply wrong as the 11+ system and have no intention of going through it again with my next child. I was one of the lucky ones - and I'm sure that's all it is - luck, that my son got through on appeal but I still feel traumatised and stigmatised by the whole experience. To those struggling to come to terms with it, try to put it into some perspective. When my son didn't pass, his teacher said to me "where ever he goes, he's the kind of boy that will do well in everything he does" and that got me through. We all want the best for our children but they wi give their best with our support wherever they go. Success is theirs for the taking anywhere and we will always be there.
pheasantchick

Re: Heartfelt thoughts

Post by pheasantchick »

Thanks for your support.

(Although I'm actually fed up with everyone giving me the 'he'll do well...' speech as I've heard it that often! )
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Ahhh...thank you...I have appealed on (shall we say more than a couple :oops: ) of times for dc and am about to repeat the whole process for 13+. I found the whole process very difficult so I not only appreciate everything you say I totally understand it and sympathise wholeheartedly with the points you made. I won't bore you with my reasons but if we had a choice I would not do it again. Like PC I grew very tired of the 'dc's will do well wherever' comments because for us it was not the case but I am really pleased that it worked out for your dc which proves that in some cases this statement is true :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

pheasantchick wrote:(Although I'm actually fed up with everyone giving me the 'he'll do well...' speech as I've heard it that often! )
I know it can be very wearing to hear that comment, but it is worth reading this post from "Tree" on Bucks to hear of at least one case where it proved to be absolutely true: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=27146" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very good luck with the appeals everyone, and Etienne and I (and many others, of course) will do all we can to support you.

Sally-Anne
mystery

Post by mystery »

I'm going to be cynical here. Tree is in bucks. The 11plus test there has been pretty unscientific for years I suspect. therefore the top end will not have been completely wiped out of the upper schools. If you look at the Kent non-selectives finding one where results like that would be nothing short of miraculous. Maybe this show the Kent test is not as broken as people like to think. the bucks uppers could change in nature with your new test, and g55 might get even more able mathematicians in her grammar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now