Help please...... SEN appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ysezmo

Help please...... SEN appeal

Post by ysezmo »

Can anyone help ?

We live in Gloucestershire and my DS has a full statement for a physical disability. He needed a pass of 210 for STRS and got 209! There were extenuating circumstances on the day and we have a drs letter. We would like to appeal but have been told because he has a statement we can't! We have spoken to DfE, Local Authority etc and we can't appeal!! They can't find the policy to back it up... they just know... We are so cross! Has anybody ever dealt with this situation before?

As he is SEN he doesn't fall under the same appeals as 'normal' (hate that term) children or children with a medical condition.

Any advice greatly received!
daveg

Re: HELP PLEASE...... SEN APPEAL >>>>>> ANYBODY?????!!!!

Post by daveg »

ysezmo wrote: As he is SEN he doesn't fall under the same appeals as 'normal' (hate that term) children or children with a medical condition.

Any advice greatly received!
You need an expert, not people theorising on forums or, indeed, random people in the authority.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

daveg wrote:You need an expert, not people theorising on forums or, indeed, random people in the authority.
Indeed, and Etienne will be along soon. You could not be in better hands for an issue such as this.

I will move this thread to the Appeals section meanwhile.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

What is the name of the voluntary service that advises parents re SEN?
I would also contact a solicitor promptly, and STR admissions woman, Sue, who is lovely.
It would be enough for crypt I think? But ou obviously want STR so I agree with daveg -you need professional help.
But my thoughts are with you, so blooming unfair and surely under discrimination law absolutely not the case?
Best wishes - do let us know what happens.....
Amber......do you know?
Ellen-Jane

Post by Ellen-Jane »

No experience of this but I do know that DC with statements have a different admissions route than 'other' DC, but it is supposed to be in their advantage to try to level the playing field a bit. If you are getting discrimination over appealing then you should be quoting the Equality Act to the LA. It is absolutely not on that your DS can't appeal if every other DC has the right.

Hopefully Capers will be along with some better info. Maybe try Mumsnet Primary education forum as well, there are some experienced admissions experts there as well.
Ellen-Jane

Post by Ellen-Jane »

Parent partnership are the people who are supposed to help but they are pretty toothless and funded by the LA.
ysezmo

Post by ysezmo »

You need an expert, not people theorising on forums or, indeed, random people in the authority.

I agree... It's just NO ONE in authority KNOWS!!! Apparently, there hasn't been an appeal process with an SEN child being so close to STR pass. Am waiting to hear back from from Sue, agree she is lovely, but as he didn't pass he doesn't qualify. I totally understand and don't want special treatment for him... Just the ability to appeal like everyone else!

Thank you all.... will keep you posted!
ysezmo

Post by ysezmo »

Sally-Anne wrote:
daveg wrote:You need an expert, not people theorising on forums or, indeed, random people in the authority.
Indeed, and Etienne will be along soon. You could not be in better hands for an issue such as this.

I will move this thread to the Appeals section meanwhile.

THANK YOU!!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

neveragain* wrote: I would also contact a solicitor promptly, and STR admissions woman, Sue, who is lovely.

Amber......do you know?
Agh, I am flattered that you think I might, but no, not really. The new admissions code states, in its appendix, that schools need to be aware of their obligations under equalities legislation. They should not discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, gender, ******** orientation and disability and must consider how they can “advance equality of opportunity".

So this looks to me like discrimination on the grounds of disability, fair and square (or unfair and round ). How you challenge that, I have no idea at all, but you must! Your son has done amazingly well, and if there were extenuating circumstances on the day he should be into the school of your choice.

I agree that the admissions officer at STRS is totally lovely and she might be able to advise. Try her.

Etienne knows everything ; and you will get masses of support on here too. Sorry I can't be any more use. :(

ETA - no, I am sure people on here with children with statements have successfully appealed before. Morning Glory perhaps? Someone has, I am sure they have.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

A blanket ban on appealing for statemented children has to be illegal, surely, under the Equality Act, 2010 legislation?

I'm not in Gloucestershire, but whatever the local education authority or the admissions department at the school think, I can't believe this policy wouldn't fall foul of the law...