Appeal for ahs

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miltonkeynesmum

Re: Appeal for ahs

Post by miltonkeynesmum »

Hi just wanting to know where I can get information on how single sex schools for girls are performing in league tables

I've been on Girls Schools Association website regarding research into single sex schools and how they do academically but they keep referring to research in 2006 is there anything more recent?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But that would not be relative to intake which is surely what you need?

Don't you need to show that if you had two girls of the same ability then the one going to an all-girls secondary would do better? Be ware that anything on that particular website is unlikely to be objective!
miltonkeynesmum

Hi I'm confused .we have IAP hearing next week have just received schools case. I'm reading on the forum that as well as FCO case we can argue case for academic capability is this right I thought that we had to win argument that process was not FCO and then the second stage would be about capability and reasons for wanting a place??

Also on SRP notes they have questioned rate of progress expected my DD is sitting level 6 SAT s paper for English and is predicted level 5b for Maths she got level3 in Key SAts 1. So how can they ? That we also had 1:1 recommendation from Headteacher yet on SRP there is 0 there is no explanation of terms used so what does 0 mean that that didn't consider it if so why ask for it
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

miltonkeynesmum wrote:I thought that we had to win argument that process was not FCO and then the second stage would be about capability and reasons for wanting a place??
The arguments against FCO are presented first and then you put your case for selection. The panel then make their decision on both parts of the appeal.
Also on SRP notes they have questioned rate of progress expected my DD is sitting level 6 SAT s paper for English and is predicted level 5b for Maths she got level3 in Key SAts 1. So how can they ?
I'm not sure that I am entirely with you here? Anyway, it is now up to the IAP to decide if her progress is sufficient.
That we also had 1:1 recommendation from Headteacher yet on SRP there is 0 there is no explanation of terms used so what does 0 mean that that didn't consider it if so why ask for it
There are two possibilities that come to mind:

a) The spreadsheet record of the SRP hearing is inaccurate (not the first report we have had of that);
b) If your child does not attend a Bucks state school or Partner school, the recommendation may have been made in hindsight. That does not invalidate it, it just means that the panel will have looked at the Recommendation and evidence more carefully. Why that should result in it being recorded as "zero" on the spreadsheet is beyond me though!

It is certainly a question you should be putting to the LA Rep: "Why is the HT's recommendation recorded as zero when DD was clearly recommended as a 1:1". Of course, as the Clerk's notes have been destroyed, he or she will have no way of answering the question. If they respond with the statement "The SRP will have considered all the evidence put to them", you can press the point again.

You can then request that the panel conclude that the Review was not FCO because there is nothing to show that they considered the HTR as part of the evidence and in fact there is evidence (from the spreadsheet) to suggest that in fact it was ignored.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

miltonkeynesmum - the progress might relate to maths as level 5b is only 'expected progress'.
miltonkeynesmum

Thank you for getting back so quickly I will certainly argue that at the IAP. The 0 for Headteacher recommendation and for attitude when actually the recommendation was1is confusing as all the evidence stressed she was an independent learner. Also just noticed on sheet says academically good could we ask what actual criteria was used in determining success at SRP. Ie did child have to be academically exceptional hope you can figure out what I'm trying to say!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

If you have a scanner, please could you scan and send a copy of the spreadsheet to our confidential Appeals Box?

If not, please just send an email telling us what the comments under "Decision" are.

Thank you.
miltonkeynesmum

Hi couldn't get computer to scan (probably me not the computer to blame) I've e-mailed inbox appeals . Basically the Review panel form completely blank date of meeting has been crossed out and new one inserted by hand no decision recorded,no mention of headteachers recommendations etc simply 0:0 when it was 1:1
No mention if headteachers form was included nothing about SATs or other academic evidence
the spread sheet includes typed clerks notes saying academically good , low scores , potential progress questioned when nothing on panel meeting sheet .

I also sent in an EP report in many majority of categories she came above average one or two average ie building patterns in set time. Speed was issue for her in 11+. But she did finish her papers. According to school case a special panel should have met before SRP and their notes should have been given to SRP is this right or am I mistaken. There is nothing to suggest there was special panel or their notes.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Unfortunately we don't appear to have received your email.

Please could you check the address and send it again?
Etienne
miltonkeynesmum

Hi it basically says what I put in previous post today. I just resent it
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now