Question about an appeal after a late application

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
~Donna~

Question about an appeal after a late application

Post by ~Donna~ »

Hello :)

My ds has not been offered his first (or second) choice of school because I was 3 days late submitting the CAF (although I did get the school SIF handed in on time).
I have what I believe to be extenuating circumstances for being late with the form, including medical grounds, but the admissions clerk decided that as I managed to get the SIF in on time there was no excuse for being late with the CAF.
My ds would have been guaranteed a place at his first choice school if his application had been included with the 'on time' applications but is now facing appeal due to over subscription.
My question is should my appeal letter include details about the reasons for the CAF being late or should it focus solely on reasons why he should get his first choice school? If both which is most important/should I mention first?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Etienne

Re: Question about an appeal after a late application

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
My question is should my appeal letter include details about the reasons for the CAF being late or should it focus solely on reasons why he should get his first choice school? If both which is most important/should I mention first?
Both - I would start with the CAF, not because it's more important, but because logically admission arrangements come first.

It could be difficult to argue that the admissions clerk acted incorrectly, so the best approach would be to appear very reasonable (almost apologetic) and say "I would respectfully ask the panel to please take into account the extenuating circumstances that led to the loss of a place". It would be best if you can provide some evidence.

Even if the panel decide the admission arrangements have been correctly applied, with any luck they may be sympathetic to your plight, which might help when they come to consider your reasons for wanting a place.

Try to get the balance right - aim to write as much about reasons for wanting a place as about the CAF. Preferably more!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
~Donna~

Re: Question about an appeal after a late application

Post by ~Donna~ »

Thank you Etienne :)
It's difficult to think logically when there is so much at stake, your advice is very welcome.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now