Quick appeals questions for Kent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Etienne

Re: Quick appeals questions for Kent

Post by Etienne »

It seems strange, doesn't it?

Suggest you write to the clerk to query it, and attach a copy of the official results.
Etienne
MrsBrownsBoyz

Post by MrsBrownsBoyz »

Hi Etienne, I will do, thanks. I`ve only got a scrap piece of paper with the scores on and i did phone the school to double check the scores. Just concerned and wondering if there are some crossed wires somewhere along the line.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Have you tried emailing KCC for the official scores? I emailed them as I was interested to find out DS's raw scores and they replied within an hour or two with his raw and standardised scores.
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

MrsBrownsBoyz wrote:Another piece states he is H but he passed all three with over 119 on each.
Hi, I keep thinking about this, and not sure if I should post.

The results you mention are possible, I think? A child could get 120, 120, 120 so technically pass all 3 papers but because its not over the aggregate score of 361 it would not be an official pass and the child would be classified as H rather than G.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood the issue but I think that this year scores of 121 were needed in each paper to pass. 119 was the minimum score needed in each paper in 2012...........
mystery

Post by mystery »

MrsBrownBoyz, what did your original letter say when you received your son's results? Usually you receive something which tells you whether he / she was H or G or not, then there is separate information telling you what the thresholds were for that year (both on individual papers and on overall score) and then there is the raw score info which you can get from the school or the LEA.

It's a bit critical for appeal that you know whether he passed or not.

Good luck!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I found this on Kent C C website:

To be automatically assessed suitable for grammar school in 2012's Kent 11+ process, a child needed to score a total of 360 or more in the tests, with no single score lower than 119.

If he got 119 x 3 = 357 he did not "pass" I am afraid if he took the test in 2012. What did your original letter say? Have you ever requested the scores yourself and what were you given then?

But you are not clear in this thread as to what scores he did get as you say he got over 119 on each. If he got 120 or more on each then he did pass, or 119 on two papers and at least 122 on the third paper he would pass.

Do the scores the clerk has received add to 360 or more, and do they show 119 or more on each individual paper - if so, the H is wrong in the Clerk's information. Does the information the clerk has on scores tally with the information you have received about your son?

You need to make sure that there is no confusion over your child's identity - there can be more than one child with the same name - so you need to make sure the unique identifier is correct. If you still think there is a tangle when comparing the paper work you get from a direct enquiry about his scores with the paper work the clerk has I would be tempted to go and view the actual papers in Maidstone if this is still allowed.

If you were given the wrong information originally and he had in fact failed when you had been informed in writing that he had passed it doesn't stop you appealing of course but you need to be appealing on grounds of both non-qualification and oversubscription or you don't have much chance.
anotherworriedmum

tigger2 wrote:Apologies in advance if I have misunderstood the issue but I think that this year scores of 121 were needed in each paper to pass. 119 was the minimum score needed in each paper in 2012...........
Oh perhaps you are right, the years are merging into one :oops:

The point I was trying to make, which I think that mystery has now clarified, is that its possible to pass all 3 papers but not pass overall. Sorry for the confusion!
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Anotherworriedmum....if you pass all three papers over the required threshold then its a pass. In dd's case she had an overall score of 380 but failed by not getting to the threshold required in one paper.

I wonder if MrsBrownsBoyz has been given the wrong information about the score needed in each paper for a pass but it is not clear so I may be barking up the wrong tree :roll:
anotherworriedmum

tigger2 wrote:Anotherworriedmum....if you pass all three papers over the required threshold then its a pass. In dd's case she had an overall score of 380 but failed by not getting to the threshold required in one paper.

I wonder if MrsBrownsBoyz has been given the wrong information about the score needed in each paper for a pass but it is not clear so I may be barking up the wrong tree :roll:
Ah sorry my mistake.
To be automatically assessed suitable for grammar school in 2012's Kent 11+ process, a child needed to score a total of 360 or more in the tests, with no single score lower than 119.
I thought that you could get 119 in all 3 tests, or 119, 120, 120 but that because you were not over the aggregate score you would not pass. Sorry to confuse things :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now