Kent Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Boobeccyboo

Kent Appeal

Post by Boobeccyboo »

Hi there.

I have spent weeks trawling this site for inspiration and reassurance really so thought it was about time I posted!

My Daughter unexpectedly ''failed'' the Kent Test with scores of 134 VR, 112 NVR and 108 Maths.

Her HT appealed but this was unsuccessful.

Her last teacher assessment showed her working at level 5B across the board with predicted SATS of 5A's.

We are now in the process of appealing for both Highworth and Folkestone Girls (we live in Ashford) on the grounds that this was simply not expected. However I am concerned as there were no real 'extenuating circumstances' other than everyone expected her to pass and she didn't, she just simply had a bad day!

Can anyone offer any advice in things to include in our appeal! We have full support of her Primary School and her HT is of the belief that not attending a Grammar school will be detrimental to her education.

I have heard so many horror stories about the appeals process that to be quite honest I am terrifed I am going to do something wrong and she won't get the place she so deserves!

She has always attained teacher levels above the 'expected' levels and shows 100% commitment to everything she does. She has even attended homework club when she had no homework!

I really would appreciate any advice you could give no matter how silly/obvious in may seem. I Am already rocking in a corner and we have months of this yet!
Etienne

Re: Kent Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome. :)
I am concerned as there were no real 'extenuating circumstances' other than everyone expected her to pass and she didn't, she just simply had a bad day!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=24978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can anyone offer any advice in things to include in our appeal!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi, welcome to the forum. We are local to you and I would say that if you have strong supporting evidence of ability you won't have too much of a problem getting the Folkestone school. My son travels daily from Ashford to Folkestone (The Harvey) and is very happy there. Highworth may be more of a challenge depending on this years numbers, but not impossible. Do have a read through the feedback section as there are some interesting points there.

Lots of children don't reach the pass mark for what would seem like 'no reason'. Don't get drawn in to trying to find one, I would suggest you focus on finding evidence of ability at GS level and linking your DD to the school. Strong HT support is good so long as they truly personalise it and don't produce a blanket report which the panel will read perhaps 5 or 10 times with only a name change.......

Good luck! :D
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

I've read that Highworth has spaces this year :)
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

I had a quick look monstermum but couldn't see it so didn't want to specify, so thanks for confirming. The school usually don't like to say how many spaces they have and in any case it changes right up to the day of the hearing, going up - then down - then up - then down, which only adds to the stress in my eyes!

Let's face it, only one tiny space would do :wink:
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Just a very quick reply as I'm at work!

I know exactly what you are going through, had very similar circumstances for my son three years ago.

You need lots of evidence as to why your daughter had a blip on the day and why the schools you are appealing to are the right one for her.

Feel free to PM me if you want to.
Boobeccyboo

Post by Boobeccyboo »

monstermum wrote:I've read that Highworth has spaces this year :)

How did you manage to find this out? I couldn't work out wether they did or not! :?
monstermum

Post by monstermum »

[edited by moderator - rule 6]
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now