Burnham Grammar School admissions Sept 2013

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

shirish

Burnham Grammar School admissions Sept 2013

Post by shirish »

1. My child has passed the Bucks 11 + exam score removed by Moderator. He was not offered a place (based on distance, I guess!!) since we live at apprx 14miles from Burnham G S (BGS). I have now made arrangements to relocater to Langley, closer to my other child's G S. This property will be 6.3 miles from BGS. I wish to know if my child will be considered for admission to BGS based on my appeal.

2. How long is this score valid in the year. My understanding is that this score is valid until Dec 2013.
Guest55

Re: Burnham Grammar School admissions Sept 2013

Post by Guest55 »

The score is irrelevant and, along as it is 121 or over, places are allocated on distance.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... n-profiles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please note this year that distances are measured as straight line not by road. There will be more allocation rounds and a move now is I think regarded as a late application.
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

shirish wrote:1. I have now made arrangements to relocater to Langley, closer to my other child's G S. This property will be 6.3 miles from BGS. I wish to know if my child will be considered for admission to BGS based on my appeal.

2. How long is this score valid in the year. My understanding is that this score is valid until Dec 2013.
Shirish

1.Have you already moved? If you have started living in the new property before 21 March and have submitted the proof to Bucks CC, you will be considered in the second round allocation, which is due on 19 April. Else, it will be in third round in May.
Don't think you need to Appeal (moderators can correct me) if you have moved already.....

2. I think it's valid for one year for the test date....

Good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

You can try to get a place from the waiting list, and also appeal.
(It's a good idea to do both.)

An appeal is not based on the admission arrangements, however (unless a mistake has been made, depriving you of a place to which you would otherwise have been entitled).
An appeal is usually based on any reasons for wanting a place at the school in question.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reasons might include the convenience of living close to the school, but I don't think a panel would give any weight to a plan to move. They might give some weight if a move has already taken place. (Whether they would consider 6.3 miles as 'close' is another matter. It would be for you to convince the panel why 6.3 miles would be convenient in the light of all your circumstances.)

It is important to understand that what the panel does is a balancing act. It has to decide whether the parent's reasons for wanting a place are strong enough to outweigh any prejudice to the school (if the school has to take an extra pupil).
Etienne
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

Etienne wrote:You can try to get a place from the waiting list, and also appeal.
(It's a good idea to do both.)

An appeal is not based on the admission arrangements, however (unless a mistake has been made, depriving you of a place to which you would otherwise have been entitled).
An appeal is usually based on any reasons for wanting a place at the school in question.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reasons might include the convenience of living close to the school, but I don't think a panel would give any weight to a plan to move. They might give some weight if a move has already taken place.
Thanks Etienne for your response.

Please clarify on below case:

- Moved to Bucks beginning of March.
- Did not apply for the 2 catchment Grammar schools in the CAF (as they were not catchment at the time of filling up CAF)
- After 1st March, wait-listed both the catchment GS and submitted new address.
- Awaiting second round allocation.

1. Is there a case for Appeal?
2. What is the last date to appeal?
3. As one has applied now (after 01 March) and there is no ground of appealing due to not being offered a place - can you still Appeal or you can only appeal after not being offered a place?
4. Can you Appeal after second round allocation, if a place is not offered due to over subscription?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Daddy123 wrote:1. Is there a case for Appeal?
2. What is the last date to appeal?
3. As one has applied now (after 01 March) and there is no ground of appealing due to not being offered a place - can you still Appeal or you can only appeal after not being offered a place?
4. Can you Appeal after second round allocation, if a place is not offered due to over subscription?
1. Assuming the admission authority has done nothing incorrectly, then the only grounds for appeal would be your reasons for wanting a place.

2. See the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

3. Usually you can only appeal when you've applied and have been refused a place. It's the refusal that triggers a right of appeal.

4. If you've applied, and are refused, yes.
Etienne
Daddy123

Post by Daddy123 »

Thank you Etienne for clarifying.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now