sana15

Re: Bucks Appeal

Post by sana15 »

Bumping for moderators help please

Thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Rather 'overloaded' at the moment, so sorry if we're slower than usual to respond.

First listed appeal
point 4: important because? Evidence to show why this is important? (This might apply to point 6 as well.)
point 7: include some evidence.
point 8: check what is available, and be ready to say what she would want to be involved in. Provide evidence of anything that matches an existing interest as this will add 'substance'.

Second listed appeal
point 4: lots of appellants will be asserting this. Any evidence?
point 5 (the second one!): Any evidence to show why this matters?
point 6: include some evidence.
Is there a need to send the report?
If it shows an aptitude for the subject you're drawing attention to, it would be worth including the relevant page of the report in among your evidence (with the subject circled in thick black ink).
Should I write the appeal grounds in the same format on the appeals form and send?
As I can gather supporting evidence and send it later?
That should be fine.
Is it true the earlier you have your appeal the more chance of a place as places are limited?
No truth at all. Decisions are not taken until after all the timely appeals have been heard.
Etienne
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Thank you very much :)
sana15

Post by sana15 »

Hi Etienne
Sorry if this has been asked before but if after 1st round allocations a place becomes available due to someone not accepting, is this then offered to a dc on the waiting list or kept vacant if an appeal is allowed?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi Sana

I don't think they're allowed to 'reserve' places for successful appeals.

If anyone has a successful appeal that overturns a selection review, it's arguable that they are now entitled to a place anyway, if they would have got a place originally.
Etienne
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Etienne wrote:Hi Sana

I don't think they're allowed to 'reserve' places for successful appeals.

If anyone has a successful appeal that overturns a selection review, it's arguable that they are now entitled to a place anyway, provided that they would have got a place if qualified on 1st March.
interesting point - would this also apply to second or third round allocations. i have a continuing concern that LAs allocate places to late transfers without waiting to hear the outcome of their appeals.

similarly, if we know (from this site) that there have been a number of non-FCO Selection Reviews for children who were unsuccessful, one doesn't have to stretch the imagination too far to see that there are probably some successful children at Selection Reviews whose appeals were not fair, consistent and objective.......just a thought
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Will they abandon the system next year given that it has been so widely deemed not to be FCO? I feel for all the unlucky people who have been caught up in this experiment. Oh, wait, any change would have to be consulted on... :roll:
scary mum
carolinens

Post by carolinens »

We received the Admission Authority papers for our final stage a few days ago. It showed clearly how places had been allocated in March and how things stand now. This shows that at the second round allocations in April a place became free and was allocated to someone off the waiting list, and that person was an out of catchment child. ie they do not wait for the outcomes of the appeals. Our Non- qualification appeals were both determined before this week's third round allocation and, as they were successful, we were on the waiting list for two schools. Luckily we got a place at our preferred school and so will not be going any further with the appeal.

From the appeal paper information we deduced that everyone on the waiting list, other than those in non-qualification appeals was out of catchment. We also managed to get the appeals team to tell us over the phone how many people had qualified for the school through non-qualification appeals (as well as the total number appealing for the school). As that number was smaller than the number of additional places we felt reasonably confident an IAP would let in, if they thought the Admission Arrangements had been incorrectly applied, we were reasonably confident of succeeding.

I suspect that as so few people managed to succeed on the FCO argument they will be quite happy to use the same process next year. As a money saving process it seems to have worked quite well, even if you factor in the cost of multiple non-qualification appeals for those of us not satisfied with the Selection Review process. The fact that a few families have been through the treadmill will be minor consideration. Sorry to be so cynical. I am told however that next year the new timetable will allow the IAPs to be heard after the Selection Reviews but before March, which would be a massive improvement. It seems that this cohort of children have been uniquely disadvantaged.
Rho40

Post by Rho40 »

I'm interested that you said
carolinens wrote: Our Non- qualification appeals were both determined before this week's third round allocation and, as they were successful, we were on the waiting list for two schools.
We were also successful at appeal before the may allocation round but have not been put on a waiting list. Did you have to ask specially for this or was it automatic?
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Rho40 wrote:I'm interested that you said
carolinens wrote: Our Non- qualification appeals were both determined before this week's third round allocation and, as they were successful, we were on the waiting list for two schools.
We were also successful at appeal before the may allocation round but have not been put on a waiting list. Did you have to ask specially for this or was it automatic?
hi rho40 - may depend on which school and whether appeals are ongoing...