Still waiting to hear decision - 10 days after appeal!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
costagirl

Still waiting to hear decision - 10 days after appeal!

Post by costagirl »

We had an appeal last Monday, and have still not had a letter to tell us of the decision. The clerk at the appeal told us we would know within 7 days - apparently that was a bit optimistic! Can't believe how long this is taking. I phoned the appeals office to see if a letter has been sent, and was told "it's a busy time of year and the the clerk is busy in appeals every day." But really, 10 days??? Wonder what Etienne etc think about this.
DC17C

Re: Still waiting to hear decision - 10 days after appeal!

Post by DC17C »

I'm waiting too- my appeal was last Thursday but they were going on all last week for a Gloucester GS. I was told the panel would not make decisions until Saturday and then they would have 50+ letters to write so would not get them all ready to post until towards the end of this week. Still a horrible wait though :(
costagirl

Post by costagirl »

Golly that is drawn out. I think what's frustrating me is that the decisions were made at the end of the appeal day, so last Monday evening. But nobody can communicate that to we poor parents within 10 days!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I'm somewhat familiar with Gloucestershire appeals, but didn't hear DC17C's.

What happens here is that we have to hear all the appeals for any one school before we can make a decision on any of them.

Some schools have a huge number of appeals, so they're spread not just over a few days, but several weeks. Finding 3 members of a panel and a clerk who can all do the same 5, 6 or 7 days can be hard as we all have lives outside the appeal room; that's why the appeals are not always heard on consecutive days.

After the last appeal it can take up to a day to make our decisions, then the clerk has to write individual letters detailing the info taken into account and also a letter to the school or Admissions Authority at the same time; that can take some time so that's why it can take up to a week after the last appeal was heard before the parents get the decision letters.

DC17C - you have my genuine sympathy over the wait - panel members (well, I for one) often think a lot about the children and parents waiting for our decisions once we've made them.
Capers
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thanks Capers ... i just phoned the school to ask if the letters had been posted yet but apparently not :roll: Ho hum....
Norris

Post by Norris »

DC17C Don't give up hope no news is good news. I know exactly how you feel we had an appeal to a Gloucestershire Grammar a few weeks ago and had to wait over a week for the decision. With every day passing I became more pessimistic. In the end the LEA admissions contacted us first to see if our DS was going to accept his place?!? this was before the letter came to say we had been successful at appeal. Fingers crossed for you
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Thanks Norris - how long did it take for the letter to come in the end?
Norris

Post by Norris »

It took ten days from the appeal. It actually arrived about two hours after the phone call. I was in shock and didn't believe we were successful until we had it in writing :lol:
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Well I guess it will be Saturday or Monday now :cry:
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I do sympathise any wait is awful but compared to my 6.5 week wait last year 10 days does not seem that bad. At least you should have your decision well before induction days take place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now