SB3 appeal thread (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bucksdad8623

Re: SB3 appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by bucksdad8623 »

SB3,
Sorry to hear your news, it sounds like you give it your best shot. The irony is you sound like the kind of parent who cares passionately about your DS education and would be the sort of parent the school would want.
Your DS CAT and SAT scores are probably higher than many who passed the 11+ and gained entry to RGS.
We haven’t got our results yet but we know what’s coming.
It worries me about your comments for late entry. I assumed they didn’t grade according to the pass mark but the normal admissions procedure, oh well that means for us the 12+ is a non starter too.
Thanks for your words of support and advice during these last few months, I wish you luck for the future.
Booklady

Post by Booklady »

Sorry to hear your news SB3. As you said it was never going to be easy! And you had great evidence!

Well done on having such a positive attitute - with the support you will give I know he will be successful wherever he goes. :)
confusedmum.com

Post by confusedmum.com »

SB3 - really sorry to hear your news - at least you know you gave it everything and your DS will apprciate the faith you had in him. You seem such a positive person that I am sure your DS will feel supported in his new school, and it seems that you have prepared him well for his next educational adventure.
mystery

Post by mystery »

SB3 so sorry to haer that. Well I think that just was a rubbish decision based on what you have told us. And what was that about CAT score of 130 being needed to get a 1:1? Sorry I don't know the Bucks system but that score would put a child in the top 2 to 3 percent of scores nationally in that test. That is no way needed to go to a Bucks grammar.

Anyhow, from all you have told us on here about you and your sons he will do well at a good Bucks upper. It sounds like you have some great uppers in Bucks where kids can do really well and, maybe, even if this whole system is crazy, it has for some reason you will only know later haphazardly churned out a decision that long term might be much better for your son.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Well done for trying and so sorry you've not succeeded.

From everything I have ever read on here SB3, I reckon your children have a fabulously rich life and you are a great parent to them. That won't change. School is just school; life is far more than that.

I hope you can pull something out of the bag to take the sting out of this tonight, but I reckon you will already have some ideas. As I am sure you already know, sometimes the bad things are what define us and make us into better human beings. It won't feel like that today but over time - well, you never know. Succeeding is always easier to cope with than being unsuccessful, but it doesn't necessarily do as much good in the long run.

Best wishes.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi - do go for 12+ and remember not all the GS for rank 12+ entry some use the same qualifying score as 11+.

I have been where you are now and it worked out well in the end with DS at uni now.

Your son will be fine with your support -

Hugs x
purplerabbit

Post by purplerabbit »

Oh SB3 - my heart really goes out to you!

We had a similar disappointment for our first appeal (still waiting to hear for second) and believe me I do know how painful it is.

Your son's levels are very similar to those for my daughter so I'm not holding out any hope for the second appeal either.

It does seem a little pernickety for panels to say that the shortfall of 7 points was not accounted for by the sight difficulties.

As we got a remark for my daughter I was able to work out that each correct answer was worth 1.68 points in the final score for maths, 1.05 for verbal reasoning and 0.76 for verbal reasoning. So a shortfall of 7 points is really only equivalent to 4 or 5 maths questions. Not much at all given that they answered 203 questions in total.

Your son is very intelligent and he is loved - that's a good start in life and I'm sure he'll do well wherever he goes.

PR
BlueBerry22

Post by BlueBerry22 »

Hi SB3,

I have watched your journey with interest & really thought you would get through - to my mind the tracking issues count for an awful lot - so really really sorry to hear of the outcome.

It is sad to hear of good children missing out - I am shocked that they queried the HT Recommendations - how are we supposed to know how/why the child was recommended as a 2 - presumably it could have been prejudiced by the eye sight problems that they were unaware of at recommendation time.

I am sure your son will do well in his US and that they will be glad to have him & that he will have many opportunites to excel.

All the best & thanks for updating us

BB2
mad?

Post by mad? »

Just wanted to echo what everyone else has said, gutted for you xx
mad?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

At least you know you did everything you could! And as G55 says, don't dismiss 12+. That eyesight diagnosis really did come late in the day so now it's being dealt with there's a possibility of some fast progress over the coming year. Best of luck whatever you decide! :) x
Marylou
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now