Advice Please (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SMAB

Advice Please (Bucks)

Post by SMAB »

Hi
Have not posted before but would appreciate any advice..
My son scored 107 much lower than expected...Despite the low score the Headteacher had supported us going for a review as she is of the opinion that 107 may not be as far away from 121 as in previous years and its worth a shot ??
Her recommendation is a 2:1
End of Y2 all 3's
Current performance Reading 5c, Writing 4b, Maths 5c
Predicted end of Y6 Reading 5A, Writing 5c, Maths 5A
Single word spelling SS 118. ( Sep 13 )
Suffolk Reading Test 116 Reading age 12.04 Sep 13
NFER VR Test 117
She has given a 'Good' write up although nothing exceptional and there are no extenuating circumstances other than nerves which I'm sure was true of all our kids...
My question is do I have any chance whatsoever or will it just add more stress waiting for an inevitable no :?:
Etienne

Re: Advice Please

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
My son scored 107 much lower than expected...Despite the low score the Headteacher had supported us going for a review as she is of the opinion that 107 may not be as far away from 121 as in previous years ........
Agreed that the scores are now 'stretched out'.
Her recommendation is a 2:1
Ought to be all right, but it depends what the head's recommendations look like as a whole. If the school was generally over-optimistic, the 2's start to look like 3's, but if the school was too strict, the 2's can look more like 1's!
End of Y2 all 3's
Good!
Current performance Reading 5c, Writing 4b, Maths 5c
Predicted end of Y6 Reading 5A, Writing 5c, Maths 5A
Good.
Single word spelling SS 118. ( Sep 13 )
Suffolk Reading Test 116 Reading age 12.04 Sep 13
NFER VR Test 117
A bit lower than one would like to see.
She has given a 'Good' write up although nothing exceptional
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and there are no extenuating circumstances other than nerves which I'm sure was true of all our kids...
My question is do I have any chance whatsoever or will it just add more stress waiting for an inevitable no :?:
The evidence is mixed - some is very good, but the NFER 117 is very borderline.
The odds may be against you, as they are against most of those going to review or appeal, but it's worth a try.
The lack of any extenuating circumstances could be more of a problem for a review.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
SMAB

Post by SMAB »

Many thanks Etienne, you have confirmed what I thought....
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Hi Etienne, SMAB

Doesnt the paper on this link suggest that 117 in NFER is well above the average, assuming that it is standardised in the usual way

https://www.nfer.ac.uk/research/assessm ... scores.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I'm reading this correctly, it suggests that 117 would put DC in the 87 percentile for NFER (not for 11 plus)

Not a statistician, but would be interested to hear the view of others
SMAB

Post by SMAB »

Thanks JPK I would be interested in any other thoughts on this, I have read the link but rather confusing ( my son doesn't get the good at Maths gene from me ) :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Jpk wrote:Hi Etienne, SMAB

Doesnt the paper on this link suggest that 117 in NFER is well above the average, assuming that it is standardised in the usual way

https://www.nfer.ac.uk/research/assessm ... scores.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I'm reading this correctly, it suggests that 117 would put DC in the 87 percentile for NFER (not for 11 plus)

Not a statistician, but would be interested to hear the view of others
We've both contributed to 47guest's thread, so you will have seen there that I wrote:
121 on its own probably wouldn't impress, even though it's round about the 92nd percentile on a national scale.
1. A nationally standardised test will reflect children of all abilities! The Bucks 11+, on the other hand, is standardised for the cohort. It's thought to be a very high standard, reflecting both the area and the fact that it's 'opt-in'. Even though something like 30% are successful, it would be wrong to equate this to the 70th percentile nationally. I read somewhere that the qualifying score might be roughly equivalent to the 92nd percentile on a national scale, but that's probably unofficial.

2. So what's wrong with a nationally standardised 121?
We have to keep in mind that we're talking about evidence that's going to convince a review or appeal panel.
121 might look very borderline to a panel - especially taking into account uncertainties (such as whether the tests really were done under strict exam conditions), and confidence intervals (agreed - the 'true score' could be higher or lower, but the aim of the exercise is to convince a panel!).

When I was hearing appeals, my feeling - in so far as one can generalise - was that panels tended (I put it no more strongly) to be looking for scores around the mid-120s. I recall one panel member who preferred to see 130!

When giving advice on the forum, I have consider what a panel might perceive to be a 'safe' score.

Someone on the forum once wrote that it's like seeking to adopt a child - you have more to prove than an 'ordinary' parent!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now