over subscription

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bexamy

over subscription

Post by bexamy »

Where I live the grammar school has its own test, which if you pass allows you entry to that particular grammar school, even if you fail the Kent test. Neither test takes precedence apparently. My daughter passed both tests thankfully, and although not as many in her school passed the Kent test it seems the majority did pass the grammar school test. My fears are that even though this grammar school is the closest one to us, because of our extremely rural location (which incidentally would be the same for any school named) We are likely to miss out on a place because of our location. Spoke to the ht today and she advised if we don't get in to appeal, but what would the reasons I could use to override the decision. She did quite well in the Kent test, OK not super high aggregate score of 406 but good to me. Scored 141 in NVR and vr and 124 in maths. The grammar test I don't understand the scoring but she passed. Needed standardised score of 118 achieved 143. But I don't think this is taken into account on oversubscription. I don't want to leave it until 3rd march to seek advice and be rushed to appeal, would rather gather my fact's now and be prepared and not need it than the other way round. Please advise.
yoyo123

Re: over subscription

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll move this post this post to the appeals section, there is also a very comprehensive Q&A bit in that section which may answer some of your questions
Billie

Post by Billie »

Not sure exactly where you are, but at the moment doesn't it depend on the criteria of the actual schools you are looking at?
Does the grammar school go down to a cut off and only at the cut off is distance an issue? Some Kent schools have preferred parishes? I thought that was to help those in rural parts . you need to have a look at the over subscription criteria I think.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

bexamy, take a good read of this http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... bed-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to come back and ask questions.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now