No pass with 115. Please advise re selection Review or not?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mag72

No pass with 115. Please advise re selection Review or not?

Post by mag72 »

VR scores - Yr 4 110, Yr 5 108
Bucks 11+ result 115
CATtests results all 99 or 98.

School reports strong for Maths and Science but only high 3s for English.

School prediction 2:2

Should I request a Review or not?
Etienne

Re: No pass with 115. Please advise re selection Review or n

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
mag72 wrote:CAT tests results all 99 or 98.
If those are averages, what were the individual scores for VR, QR and NVR?
School reports strong for Maths and Science
Do you know the exact 'working at' levels at the end of year 5? (e.g. 4a)
Do you know the exact levels the school is predicting for the end of year 6?

Were there any extenuating circumstances?
Etienne
mag72

Post by mag72 »

STTS- V 52.20, Maths 39.42, NVR 24.01 = 115

CAT - Verbal 48/48 answered, SAS 134 NPR 99
Quantitative 36/36 answered, SAS 126 NPR 96
Non-Verbal 44/48 answered, SAS 118 NPR 89
Spatial 35/36 answered, SAS 108 NPR 70
Mean 122

Indicators for KS2 - most likely level achieved - 5b and if challenged 5a for all subjects.

Sats at end of year 5 - Maths - 4b, English - reading 3 reading 4b writing 3a, Science 4
No formal predictions for year 6 but verbally they have said 5s across the board.

The only extenuating circumstances would be 1. One of their friends broke down in the middle of the exam which was taken in their classroom and was very upset. They are a very tactile year and this did have an affect on them; he suffers from night terrors when he has something on his mind, these started again a few days before the exam; if I was to really push the boundaries....he has a skin problem affecting feet and hands and his hands were extremely sore at that point in time. It is a diagnosed condition.

I was under the impression that a 2:2 prediction wasn't very strong, but having read your forum, the definitions of the levels, and set in the context of my son's situation, I am wondering am I doing him an injustice if I do not appeal notwithstanding the fact that the school are not supportive?

Please advise what you think.

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

CAT - Verbal 48/48 answered, SAS 134 NPR 99
Quantitative 36/36 answered, SAS 126 NPR 96
Non-Verbal 44/48 answered, SAS 118 NPR 89
Spatial 35/36 answered, SAS 108 NPR 70
Mean 122
Ah - 99 had looked like the standardised score!
99th percentile puts a different complexion on things! :lol:
Indicators for KS2 - most likely level achieved - 5b and if challenged 5a for all subjects.
Good! I assume these are the indicators arising from the CATs, because they don't match his recent 'working at' levels.
Sats at end of year 5 - Maths - 4b, English - reading 3 reading 4b writing 3a, Science 4
Not quite so good ........ 4b in maths suggests 5c at end of KS2, which is a bit borderline. English is below that, and we can't tell with science because there's no sub-level.
The only extenuating circumstances would be 1. One of their friends broke down in the middle of the exam which was taken in their classroom and was very upset. They are a very tactile year and this did have an affect on them; he suffers from night terrors when he has something on his mind, these started again a few days before the exam; if I was to really push the boundaries....he has a skin problem affecting feet and hands and his hands were extremely sore at that point in time. It is a diagnosed condition.
All worth a brief mention. You'd need to provide evidence of the skin condition (which I assume is possible) - and, ideally, of a visit to the GP when the condition worsened at that point in time (which may or may not be possible!).
I was under the impression that a 2:2 prediction wasn't very strong, but having read your forum, the definitions of the levels, and set in the context of my son's situation, I am wondering am I doing him an injustice if I do not appeal notwithstanding the fact that the school are not supportive?
A 2:2 seems to me perfectly acceptable - although it depends what the head's recommendations look like as a whole. If the school was generally over-optimistic, the 2's start to look like 3's, but if the school was too strict, the 2's can look more like 1's!
Please advise what you think.
The evidence is mixed, but some of it (the 99th percentile, for example) is really good.

The odds are probably against you, but then they're against most of the people going to review or appeal!
You can find the previous figures by following the link in E34:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(A word of caution - 115 in the previous figures is not the same as 115 in the new style 11+. My feeling is that your chances could be better than the previous figures might suggest.)

I think you ought to try, because one can never be sure what the outcome will be in any particular case.

The more difficult question is 'review or appeal?'
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to me the main weakness you have at present is not so much the headteacher recommendation but the current SATs levels. Ideally, he should be clearly seen to be on target for 5b/5a. One advantage of an appeal in your particular case could be that it would give more time - until the summer term in fact - for him to knuckle down and 'deliver the goods'. Would he be willing to do that?
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now