Slough Consortium - results at different exam centres?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Corioboria

Missed Slough by 1 point

Post by Corioboria »

DD wants to go to St Bernards - we are Catholic and her scores are VR 118 and NVR 101 which has been standardised to 110. So we are just one point under. She has been given 5A in all subjects in class. Does anyone have any precedent of appeals to St Bernards, or is there any possibility that they might let in a Catholic with 110 without appeal?
Corioboria

Slough Consortium - results at different exam centres?

Post by Corioboria »

Is it possible to know or find out the results of people sitting the exams at the different exam centres in Slough?

We sat the exam at St Bernards - the whole procedure for letting people in, showing them to their seats etc was extremely stressy and chaotic. They were 15 minutes late going in and over an hour late coming out - goodness knows what they were doing in there. I was feeling the pressure and so was DD. It was her first real exam and I think she was terrified and went to pieces on the day - and the poor organisation and late running of the exams can't have helped that.

She has got 110, - 101 in Non Verbal and 118 in Verbal. the non-verbal came first. This is very unexpected - and I can't help thinking that if she had sat the exam at a different place where they were a bit more organised, she might have settled better.

We also sat the Tiffin exam -there the entry procedure ran like clockwork. I'm looking forward to seeing her results but I think they will be better.

I hate to bring up the fact that the exam procedure was disorganised at an appeal, but does anyone think I might have a case? Or is there any way to get hold of the informationthat might prove that average results at different exam centres were better?

I am also going to appeal on the basis of her extremely good results at school and the fact that we are Catholic so I'm hoping we will have a very good case if it comes to it (ie. if we don't get Tiffin)
Etienne

Re: Slough Consortium - results at different exam centres?

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Have you seen the Q&As?
I hate to bring up the fact that the exam procedure was disorganised at an appeal, but does anyone think I might have a case?
See B56(c):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b56" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or is there any way to get hold of the information that might prove that average results at different exam centres were better?
It should be possible to get information, but will take some effort.
You could write to each admission authority, requesting the statistics under Freedom of Information.
An example of a FOI request can be found here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Whether the statistics would prove anything is another matter (taking into account differences in the 11+, differences in the tested cohort).
I doubt it!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now