Dyslexia

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
AliJ

Dyslexia

Post by AliJ »

Hi. My son has passed his 11+ but surprising underperformed, particularly in the maths paper which he just passed (maths is generally his strongest subject). He did not, therefore, achieve the required score for his preferred school. The week after the exam he was assessed for dyslexia and came back as quite badly dyslexic with a recommendation for 25% extra time in exams. As he is bright, he has developed coping mechanisms to cover some of his problems but this is probably the reason that his maths paper was below expectations - it was 'wordy' and he didn't have time to extract the information from the questions in order to do the actual maths! The assessment specifically notes that these sorts of questions will be an issue for him, despite his general mathematical ability.

The assessment states that he is very bright and with the right support, will do well in future examinations and so I have no issues with him coping in a top grammar school. Is it worth us even contemplating an appeal in these circumstances? Many thanks
Etienne

Re: Dyslexia

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

An appeal panel will certainly have to take into account the dyslexia.
Is it worth us even contemplating an appeal in these circumstances?
I don't see why not, if you have strong academic evidence.

Have you seen the Q&As? For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now