Wirral - is it worth it ?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bobon

Wirral - is it worth it ?

Post by bobon »

My D got her results yesterday. Pass mark for Wirral grammar schools is 236 - she fell short by 16. (cant believe her score was that poor - indications prior to the final test showed she was borderline but not that far behind !!! )

We had parents evening two week ago and she is working at 5b in Eng, Math, Sci, and her reading age is 12.8
Is it worth appealing considering the test score ?
DC17C

Re: Wirral - is it worth it ?

Post by DC17C »

I went through the appeal process last year but in Gloucestershire. You need to find out if there have been any successful appeals in the past to the school you are looking at. You might find that out by asking the school directly or finding out if classes higher up the school are above the PAN. I think I looked at league tables as to how many children were in the gcse year.

I suspect though that even if there have been a few successful appeals in the past then you will propably be in for an uphill struggle due to the distance from the qualifying score. You would need exceptionally good academic evidence NC levels are good as is reading age, good reasons for not doing better in the exam and for wanting the specific school.

Have a look in the feedback from all areas sticky to see if any info on previous appeals in the area
Sorry if not very encouraging
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi bobon

This is the feedback sticky that DC mentioned http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =35&t=9205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the FAQ about appeals can be found at http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MisterP

Post by MisterP »

My son fell short by 2 scoring 234 for the Wirral exam. Its interesting you note quite a significant disconnect between the outcome you may have expected and the actual result because my son's tutor has observed the same thing with several very bright students who were expected to pass easily, but fell short, some significantly short. In contrast, it was also noted that a number who were expected to be borderline were well above 236. This, together with the fact that, in my son's school, all 11+ students sat an extra paper only two weeks ago (having already done 2 practice papers and two main papers) leaves me with the feeling that there's something strange about this years results. To my knowledge, it isn't standard practice for all students to take an additional exam 2-3 weeks after the main papers; even for the purpose of appeals. I was also surprised by the fact that the first paper was so hard that many of the students taking it were in tears during the exam. Some of the very brightest students really struggled with the first paper and were consequently very upset during the exam. This wasn't only in my son's school but in other schools too. My son was always a borderline case so, in many respects, his result isn't a huge surprise. However, I really feel for those who were expected to pass easily, but didn't. I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I have an uneasy feeling about a number of aspects of this years 11+ exam for the Wirral. I intend to raise this with my son's school to seek reassurance regarding the concerns I have outlined here. I would be interested to know if others had a similar experience, particulalry with regard to the suggestion that the first paper was inppropriately difficult.
filmcritic

Post by filmcritic »

Our son got 282 in his 11+
We are in Cheshire approx 5 miles from Wirral Boys. If we missed out on a place in terms of distance (historically not likely) would his high score be adequate grounds for appeal?
bobon

Post by bobon »

Interesting MisterP. I would not put my daughter in the very bright bracket but all indications suggested she would be there or there abouts. I will ask the Headteacher her opinion when school goes back.
My daughter found the first paper very difficult and lost most marks on it.
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

That is very disturbing news indeed about an extra paper! Which school did this happen in? I hadn't heard anything about this in West Kirby area! Again I have had the same experience, my daughter was predicted to easily go through! Got a score of 234. Older sister in Year 10 at WKGS. It was referred to IAB with a supporting letter from head teacher and still knocked back!

She scored higher on first paper than second and the first was apparently the harder one as mentioned above! I feel the same something very strange has gone on! What with rogue questions last year and now this, it begs the question how can they carry on with Verbal flipping Reasoning! It should be a maths, English and science test as what is required for SATs,! :evil:
MisterP

Post by MisterP »

I don't want to identify the school until I've had chance to hear their side of the story. As I understand it the extra paper was intended to form a basis for appeals and it was more of a maths paper than a VR paper. However, I also understand that all the students who did the 11+ in the school concerned sat the extra paper. Whilst I understand the school doesn't want to specifically identify the students for whom they appealed, I wouldn't have expected all students to sit an extra paper. As its half-term, I won't get to speak to the school until next week.
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Good luck MisterP! We are going in to see Headteacher tomorrow morning! I have heard that most of my DD class have passed just waiting to hear about five more!

I just can't seem to get my ahead around it! We hadn't even looked at the local comps as we were so re assured that she would be absolutely fine! I have also been informed because she has had an IAB already then she may not get a proper appeal as they will view it that it has already been referred! Which i personally think is totally wrong as they will not have had any extra information and are making a decision from a form with no input from us! System is all wrong! My daughter's school do not have the advantage of sitting the exam at their own school! They had to go to the grammar school and sit it! She was so nervous and i think she has panicked.

I almost feel cross with myself for putting her through this now!! :(

Good luck to you and do keep posting to keep me informed of your progress or PM me! Likewise I will do same :)
Hamnegg

Post by Hamnegg »

Same for us my daughter didn't pass by 16 points and I was really shocked, it's been a shock for her and myself.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now