Appeal and CAF

Post by Turbo »

Hi
Does it affect the appeal if in the CAF i place the school 3rd in preference ie
Choices:
1) Gramma school A
2) Local comp B
3) Partial selective C

I then get offered 2) local comp. will I be able to appeal to 3) on grounds of non qualification due to extenuating circumstance and able to prove ability
Thanks for any input
Turbo
Audreylawyer

Re: Appeal and CAF

Post by Audreylawyer »

Not an appeal expert but I don't think you could. The partially selective school would have to be listed above the comp. if you gain a place at choice 2, the LEA will not look any further down the list. That is why all the advice is to put schools in your true order of preference.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Thanks Audreylawyer
If I change the order of preference (local comp to 3rd ) do I risk loosing the local com place? Although I don't have offers 1 & 2
Audreylawyer

Post by Audreylawyer »

No. If u do not get into 1, it drops off the list and 2 then becomes 1 and so on until u get a school for which u fit the criteria. If u fit the criteria for more than 1 school, the LEA will offer the school that appears highest on your CAF.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

In theory you could appeal for any school for which you've applied and been refused.

However, it would look very odd to an appeal panel if you appeal for a lower ranked school.
If the panel know what's on your CAF - which they might do - you'd need to come up with a good reason for changing your mind.

Audreylawyer is absolutely right - the golden rule is to put schools in your true order of preference.
Etienne
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Thanks for the quick reply. One more thing, will it be possible/allowed to appeal if DS didn't pass round 1 test (due to illness or other reasons) of the selection process (selective school has two rounds)? This selective also requires people to submit additional form

Thanks

Turbo
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If you put the school on your CAF and are refused, then you must have a right of appeal.

Presumably you would need a very strong case (including persuasive academic evidence), if the child didn't get through round 1.
Etienne
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Thanks Etienne,
The school is now saying I won`t be able to apply via the test criteria, please see confidential mail box for details. The school said I can only apply via distance is this legal? And how will I be able to appeal on non qualifications if I didn`t apply via test criteria. I have no chance to get it via distance as I am 4miles out and average distance place 0.9 mile

Thanks
Turbo
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:In theory you could appeal for any school for which you've applied and been refused.

However, it would look very odd to an appeal panel if you appeal for a lower ranked school.
If the panel know what's on your CAF - which they might do - you'd need to come up with a good reason for changing your mind.
I agree, though I have heard more than one appeal for lower-placed in the past that was sucessful - it could be the child didn't like the top ranked school after induction day, parents changed mind, new house was nearer the lower ranked school. But it does make me wonder when I'm first reading through the paperwork.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now