Wise to appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Shiv

Re: Wise to appeal?

Post by Shiv »

Thank you for all your input. Unfortunately, our school doesn't do CATS and the year 6 SATS aren't done until May, before any results are available. Are there organisations which allow children to sit CAT papers so that I could collect some results? Or would this just be looked upon by the panel on par with tutor organisations etc. It's looking like getting an ED assessment may be worthwhile. Have you known appeals to be successful with nothing more than progression and an ED Report to add to what the panel already know from the headteacher assessment?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Shiv wrote:Are there organisations which allow children to sit CAT papers so that I could collect some results? Or would this just be looked upon by the panel on par with tutor organisations etc.
It's in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you known appeals to be successful with nothing more than progression and an ED Report to add to what the panel already know from the headteacher assessment?
Yes - but nothing is guaranteed!

It depends on how the headteacher support is worded.
It depends on the EP's findings.
It depends on the oversubscription part of the appeal (if applicable).
It depends on the panel.
Etienne
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Shiv, your school won't sit the Y6 SATS until May as nobody does, but I'd be very, very surprised if the Y6 teacher isn't running practice tests with them over the year (and certainly before you appeal) as it is in their interest to familiarise the kids with the formats etc.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Shiv, your school won't sit the Y6 SATS until May as nobody does, but I'd be very, very surprised if the Y6 teacher isn't running practice tests with them over the year (and certainly before you appeal) as it is in their interest to familiarise the kids with the formats etc.
I agree.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
See B11 (c), (d), (j).
Etienne
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

Thank you once again. Our school don't prepare the children for the 11+ so I'm not too hopeful that they will prepare practice tests for the SATS but, I will definately ask them. I know they do 'tests' throughout school but not sure 'what type' of test.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I would be very surprised if they do no prep for SATS. My DC really only did obvious prep from after Christmas. I went through an appeal last year and was able to get up to date SATs predictions and working levels in a headteachers letter (I asked for it at Easter as she was leaving).

CATS testing is only available through school so your only other option is possibly an ed Psych assessment but beware it may not give you the results you are hoping for - but perhaps even that information is useful in itself.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"Our school don't prepare the children for the 11+ so I'm not too hopeful that they will prepare practice tests for the SATS but, I will definately ask them."

Shiv...the SATS levels are one of the main measures for the school's position in the league tables, the 11+ results (as far as I know) are not. Trust me! They prepare for these (especially the spelling, punctuation and grammar - spag - bit which is relatively new)
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

It's true that both the headteacher and teacher have told me the predicted SATS levels so it appears you are right about that. If the ED report doesn't give me the results I'd expect then I won't submit it!! Haha. But thank you all for all this information. It's been very informative. One more question. At what stage is a school likely to know how many places( if any) they have available. I realise we don't know the allocated school until March but are the school likely to have an idea much in advance of March? Given that all applications are in, are they likely to be able to answer that question any sooner?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I guess the reality is that they won't know until after the National Offer Day, after the confirmation date. They will make their offers and until parents have confirmed, there is always some movement (eg someone might have put them as first choice and be offered a place but the child may go to an indie).
Shiv

Post by Shiv »

An indie? I've never heard of an indie? :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now