Appeal process

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Vaw

Re: Appeal process

Post by Vaw »

Thank you for the information, I do have a letter from head teacher to support my daughter, section 7 is very helpful, I will re look at this and go from there!!!
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Hi again!! Is this any better?;

I would be grateful if you would consider this appeal for my daughter **** on the following grounds:

Academic Evidence

Strongly supported by the headteacher – please see letter of support
Improved High grades and target for end of year– please see attached copies of school reports
Predicted high level 4s with possible move to level 5 for KS2 in English & Maths please see reports
Top group for Maths and English
Involved in various school council activities.

Extenuating Circumstances

> **** has been bullied throughout primary school, this has caused **** to become withdrawn, lack in focus and enthusiasm with regards to her education, it was a general struggle each day for me to get **** to school each day as you can see from her attendance/punctuality section on school reports.
>the breakdown of **** parental unit which occurred prior to her returning to school following the summer break into year 4, the past years have been extremely difficult ones for ****
>**** birthdate; 30.08.03 this has resulted in **** being the youngest child in her year and statistically this is proven to hinder a child's academic achievements
>**** grandmother with whom she is very close to was diagnosed with cancer last summer prior to her sitting her examination, this had a huge impact on her willing participation in most tasks
>following the recruitment of a new headteacher during year 5, bullying was dealt with effectively, this had never been addressed in such a way despite my constant concerns being raised, following this **** has become more confident and egar to learn.
>bullying commenced in year 2 and was dealt with to some degree, as evidenced in reports **** has gone from being on target/above target at KS1 in year 2 - year 5 being under target, within the last year **** has progressed around a sub level or over in each subject and is set to exceed predicted targets.
>**** felt under a great deal of pressure to do well in the test due to the fact that her older sister is already attending the grammar school. **** bullying commenced the year her sister left **** and **** has longed to have that support from her sister once again.

I hope the panel may be prepared to take the view that on the balance of probability this could be sufficient to explain a shortfall in marks.

Reasons for wanting a place

We live in the catchment area of the school.
Sibling link, sister in year 9
Educational reasons, I believe that **** would benefit from a robust approach to her educational requirements.
Social reasons, When applying for secondary places I declined to submit an application for **** due to the fact that the children whom had bullied **** would be attending this school, with this in mind and her academic requirements i applied and successfully received a place at **** academy, although this school is a wonderful school I believe sending **** here would cause me, as a single parent to struggle immensely financially to meet the cost of transportation to and from school, due to work commitments I am also unable to drive **** to school or collect her from school, this is a major concern for me.

Thank you for taking the time to consider our appeal. I look forward to meeting you, and answering any questions you may have.

I'm hoping this covers everything a little more?? Any further support would be much appreciated :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's getting much better.

However, if you're writing twice as much about extenuating circumstances as about academic evidence, it's still unbalanced - especially when you take out "Involved in various school council activities" which has no relevance to an appeal.

As we often say, you might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

Have you checked our list of academic evidence?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High 4s might not be enough, although I appreciate they've been affected by circumstances. Do you have evidence of high ability before some of the recent extenuating circumstances, e.g. level 3s in year 2?
Etienne
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Hi thank you for your reply, her year 2 attainment was 2a in both math and english?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

OK - close! :)

Anything I say is just general advice - only your particular appeal panel can decide what is sufficient.
Etienne
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Thank you, your advice is much appreciated I will include this in academic section, there are so many things that have impacted on her over the years, I didnt want to hinder her more by moving schools due to the bullying when me and her father seperated, I felt this might uproot her even more? The new headteacher had been so proactive in dealing with the issues and this has given her bags of confidence in all areas.
Vaw

Post by Vaw »

Hi again, really upset as I received a letter today stating my appeal was unsuccessful, the date on the letter is incorrect, my appeal points were also missing discussed issues and in addition to this I had to go and sit in the appeal on the date my mother was having major surgery (which I did put on the form as a date I couldn't attend!!) I'm really upset about this and I know they say decision is final but are there any alternatives ie retaking exam etc?

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So sorry to hear this, Vaw.

I don't think it's possible to resit the test for year 7 entry.

If you want to copy the decision letter to the Appeals Box, I don't mind checking to see if it looks in order.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now