Accepting a place or not?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crecheout

Accepting a place or not?

Post by crecheout »

Hi, I have the acceptance form but do not want to accept the place it has offered my ds. I am going to appeal for grammar school, did not pass 11+ and was unsuccessful at review. if unsuccessful at appeal I will be privately educating my ds.
So, although it says that accepting a place or saying what school he will be attending will not have any affect on the appeal I am concerned that if i accept the secondary school the panel will think I am ok with that, or if I put the private school they may think well they can afford to go private so we don't need to seriously consider him at appeal!
I know this sounds like I have a conspiracy complex, I am trying not to, I just feel so let down by the system so far.
Any advice?
Also it asks if I would like to put my name down on the waiting list for any schools. Can I put my 2 catchment grammar schools in here just in case I am successful at review?
Confused!
Etienne

Re: Accepting a place or not?

Post by Etienne »

crecheout wrote:I am concerned that if i accept the secondary school the panel will think I am ok with that
Rest assured that they won't - they know very well that everyone is advised to accept the offered school while awaiting an appeal.
or if I put the private school they may think well they can afford to go private so we don't need to seriously consider him at appeal!
This shouldn't influence them either.

I would suggest that you accept the offered school for the time being to keep all your options open. It's what an appeal panel is likely to view as the sensible thing to do. It doesn't stop you changing your mind and going private at any point in time.
Also it asks if I would like to put my name down on the waiting list for any schools. Can I put my 2 catchment grammar schools in here just in case I am successful at review?
At appeal?
You wouldn't be allowed to go on the waiting list unless and until successful in the first two parts of an appeal (i.e. the panel decides that the review was not 'fair, consistent & objective', and also decides that your son should be deemed qualified).
Etienne
crecheout

Re: Accepting a place or not?

Post by crecheout »

Thank you, of course I meant appeal, it's just so confusing, should be the other way around really? Appealing for a place first then re viewing if you were not successful at appeal. Just semantics really!
I will do as you suggest and accept the secondary option just in case.
Many thanks once again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now