Appeal and Admissions advice please

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twinksy

Appeal and Admissions advice please

Post by twinksy »

My son qualified for grammar school by one mark but has not been offered a place at this scool but at the comp. We intend to appeal against the decision based on over subscription but also the fact that during both exam papers, my son was sat by open window, there was loud shouting outside and a small child and her dad runnng around. Apparently it went of for quite some time. I believe this mpsctrd on my sons scores and he wouls ave achebed a higher scor if he had not been distractec during both exams.

My son is academically bright and we have supporting paperwork, achievng level 5s and in special maths set working toward level 6.

My question is what do I put on the admissions form? Do i reject the offered school and ask to go on waiting list for grammar school and also appeal? Or do i accept the place, ask to ho on grammar waiting list and also appeal at the grammar?

Many Thanks Karen
Etienne

Re: Appeal and Admissions advice please

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
My question is what do I put on the admissions form? Do i reject the offered school and ask to go on waiting list for grammar school and also appeal? Or do i accept the place, ask to ho on grammar waiting list and also appeal at the grammar?
You shouldn't reject the offered school - accept it for the time being.

If your son is qualified for grammar school, ask to go on the waiting list, and also ask to appeal.

For advice on appeals, start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:You shouldn't reject the offered school - accept it for the time being.
Yep, accept the place offered irrespective of what you intend to do.

Whilst accepting it will not have affect reconsideration or an appeal, not accepting could result in not having any school come September, an awful one or one at the other side of the county from you.
Capers
twinksy

Post by twinksy »

Thank you both.

Further to my previous post Whilst my son did qualify for one grammar school, by 1 point and hasnt got a place as we are 1.5 below the last place offered, there was outside loud noise outside in both exams not tackled by invigilators. A father shouting repeatedly at a toddler running outside the classroom, again and again. This impacted on my son because he was nearest the noise. Invigilators whispered in 1st exam did nothing and then it happened for a longer period the second time in the 2nd exam. I have asked for the invigilators log. My son said that in the 2nd paper when the noise went on and he was trying to concentrate and couldnt he panicked and some guessed answers. Our feeling is without the distraction he would have gained higher marks.

He is consistently academic so evidence is there.
So, we will appeal to 2 schools, sighting the incidents and the impact on him and we believe his scores. Obviously oversubscription too given we have achieved the pass mark for one school. Would we appeal sighting this as a mitigating circumstance or can we claim maladministration?
Thnk you
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Would we appeal citing this as a mitigating circumstance or can we claim maladministration?
It would be a mitigating circumstance.

It's certainly worth a mention, but you could be asked if you raised any concerns at the time.
If the invigilator log fails to provide corroboration, it might be difficult at this point in time (even more so at an appeal in the summer term) to establish what happened many months ago.
Do provide as much academic evidence as possible:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
twinksy

Post by twinksy »

Etienne wrote:
Would we appeal citing this as a mitigating circumstance or can we claim maladministration?
It would be a mitigating circumstance.
It's certainly worth a mention, but you could be asked if you raised any concerns at the time.
If the invigilator log fails to provide corroboration, it might be difficult at this point in time (even more so at an appeal in the summer term) to establish what happened many months ago.
We didnt raise it at the time because my son mentioned it and it wasnt until we were shocked by the results that we delved deeper. At that point I thought I could only appeal when he had been refused a place.

Do provide as much academic evidence as possible:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Thanks head teacher has provided a list of academic abilities, ks1 all level 3s, predicted ks2 writing 5b, reading level 5b, spelling, punc, grammar level 5b, maths 5a, reading age 13.9. Cats verb 133, non verb 122, quant 117, mean 124. I assume these marks are in the right ball park?

Headteacher wont provide anything else, althoygh i ave asked for science sats. Will not having headteachers support go against us?

Thank you for you help x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I assume these marks are in the right ball park?
I would have thought so, but it's up to the individual appeal panel to decide.
Headteacher wont provide anything else, althoygh i ave asked for science sats.
You could insist on access to anything in the school record.
See B20(c):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will not having headteachers support go against us?
Not necessarily - I think appeal panels in your area will know that there is a limit to what some primary school heads will do with regard to the 11+.

Don't omit to include some good reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
twinksy

Post by twinksy »

Etienne wrote:
I assume these marks are in the right ball park?
I would have thought so, but it's up to the individual appeal panel to decide.
Headteacher wont provide anything else, althoygh i ave asked for science sats.
You could insist on access to anything in the school record.
See B20(c):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will not having headteachers support go against us?
Not necessarily - I think appeal panels in your area will know that there is a limit to what some primary school heads will do with regard to the 11+.

Don't omit to include some good reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you, so much for your speedy and very helpul responses. x