ranking of appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
inyourowntime

Re: ranking of appeals

Post by inyourowntime »

many thanks Etienne

Apologies for causing concern! A poor choice of words on my behalf and not ones I would use to a panel. As you say southbucks3 puts it in a nutshell.

I am a novice at all this I am afraid and getting through it with a typical (for me) degree of ill judged sarcasm. I will behave myself at the hearing!! :lol:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Don't worry - almost all of those going to appeal are doing so for the first time, and so are novices.

I think we've got the right approach to the written statement now. :)

Because timing is covered in your supporting letter - but not confidence - you could be asked about the latter.
I'd give a very straight answer to a straight question (full marks for honesty!) - but then quickly move on to a positive note by returning to the theme of 'increased maturity'.

Given his date of birth, your son is likely to be the youngest in the year group (and quite possibly the youngest of all who sat the test). Worth spelling that out for them!
Etienne
inyourowntime

Post by inyourowntime »

many thanks again Etienne,

I have popped a small bit of further information in the appeals box for your comment. :oops:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi

It's a good point, but I'd mention it only if they ask about confidence.

Tell them only as much as they seem interested in - you don't want extenuating circumstances to dominate the hearing.
Etienne
inyourowntime

Post by inyourowntime »

Could anyone (Etienne I appreciate you are busy) give me their thoughts on how to argue the importance of having a sixth form attached to a secondary school?
It is our strong preference that DS attends a secondary school with an attached sixth form which our allocated school does not have. This is based largely on our own experiences however the grammar we are appealing to feeds our closest sixth form with priority given to the grammar pupils (we don't fancy an oversubscription appeal at that stage too!!)
Many thanks
hempsteadlad

Post by hempsteadlad »

inyourowntime wrote:Could anyone (Etienne I appreciate you are busy) give me their thoughts on how to argue the importance of having a sixth form attached to a secondary school?
It is our strong preference that DS attends a secondary school with an attached sixth form which our allocated school does not have. This is based largely on our own experiences however the grammar we are appealing to feeds our closest sixth form with priority given to the grammar pupils (we don't fancy an oversubscription appeal at that stage too!!)
Many thanks
With the raising of the school leaving age to 17 and then 18, by the time your DC gets to 6th form, the school could well have a 6th form or be in a consortium. The panel should know this too!

That may dilute your argument.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

There are different ways of arranging 6th form provision, some of which might possibly exclude the allocated school.

As far as the present is concerned, one argument for schools that have a sixth form is that this should attract some highly qualified staff who want to teach A-level as well as the 11-16 curriculum.
Etienne
inyourowntime

Post by inyourowntime »

Thanks, I think I will state as a preference and focus more on our other reason's which I can relate to evidence of interests skills and social reasons. :)

Etienne,

thanks again for focussing me regarding the updated academic evidence. DS teacher has been amazingly supportive and gleefully presented me with recent SATs results all written up on headed paper and mercifully exactly as we hoped 5A/ 5B/ 5B. I will scan and send to meet the deadline and take original and copies on the day. Was it you who said you would eat your best hat if that would not be accepted by the panel?! :D

will feedback for the benefit of others how we get on. :?
inyourowntime

Post by inyourowntime »

Hi all,
well - it's over. Hearing on tuesday - relived every moment between 3 and 4 wednesday morning and now just the last wait to go.

Our panel were very skilled at making us feel at ease which enabled us to be ourselves (under the table however sweaty palms/ shakey legs etc). They had got to the point of our submission and even asked questions of the school we would not have thought of in relation to the profile of thier existing pupils and DS's results.

One or two things were left unsaid but I felt we got accross the important ones and for that reason found the process a bit therapeutic!! I guess if I can advise anyone from our experience - it all goes very quickly and you can't say everything so I would have in mind some must says and a few would be nice to says that you can use to answer relevent questions.

We know this is a long shot as we are up against alot of other appeals but thanks to everyone on this forum this year feel we went in as prepared as we could to be DS's advocates and now what will be will be. :?
ofsoundmind

Post by ofsoundmind »

Good luck :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now