Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NorthLondonMummy

School appealing

Post by NorthLondonMummy »

The school (academy) we have appealed was second choice on caf form
in October. We knew we would not qualify as we were not
near enough - 1.85 mile and their cut-off distance was and is usually under 0.7 miles. We did get the first preference we listed on the caf. The reason we put it was we knew we will get this by distance so we have the second best at least for her.

After accepting this place, we went onto waiting lists for the remaining five. The highest preference to the one we have appealed (which was our second on caf).

This is what the LA has said on their submission and Does this mean I have disadvantaged myself for having this suitable school as second on caf? I am so put off, can't bear to show up to the Appeal this week. Helppppp

"Your Child was offered a place at her 1st preference. Her request for SChool XX to be considered as her 1st preference was submitted after the closing date and so was processed after the applications which were submitted on time." .. By which point a all available places had already been allocated."

Are the other appeal applicants placing as first choice at a more advantage?
kenyancowgirl

Re: School appealing

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am not an appeals expert so, forgive me, I am not commenting on what you have written above but I will say to anyone about to go through this system :Please, please, please list schools on your CAF in your TRUE preference order. Don't second guess whether you will or won't get a place. If you don't get an offer from the first school listed on your CAF they will look at your second, as if it was your first listed place. Make sure that you have at least one school listed on the CAF where you have a realistic chance of getting an offer, but otherwise, put your 1st choice school first and so on.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Would absolutely second what KCG has said - as far as your LA is concerned, it actually did what you apparently wanted. You say that you are on the waiting list at all the other schools on your CAF; does this mean that you actually would prefer anywhere else but the school your DD may well be going in September??

Please don't take this as lack of sympathy, though - and don't not turn up for your appeal. If you don't try, you certainly won't succeed, as they say.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Parents do get it wrong, sometimes - as do schools. I suspect that all over the country, there are thousands in your position. It's not helped by processes changing over the years, causing 'playground myths' - such as 'if you put a school in second position you won't be considered for it if you don't get your fist choice, as that school only considers applications in the first position'. That was an unfair practice that was banned a few years ago, yet some parents still state it as the truth.

Do go to the appeal, be honest, say why you ranked the schools in that order and why you thought it best to do so; don't make a big thing of it, though. Then go on to say why the school you want is the best, most appropriate for your child.

The appeals panel will be well aware that parents are not 'schools admissions professionals', that they don't all know the system inside out nor have they read the Schools Admissions Code. The panel won't be judging the appeal on your errors, but on the reasons why you want that school - versus the number of pupils the school can actually take.

You may or may not win, but it won't be because of the position you put the school on the form.

Good luck.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Do make sure you're well-informed about appeals - there's plenty of free advice on here.
For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ed-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck! :)
Etienne
NorthLondonMummy

Thank you all for your replies.

A query for Etienne

I have another worry after reading this part:

An appeal panel must not be told anything about where a child is on a Waiting List. If by chance they are told, then they cannot consider that information when taking their decision. The Code clearly states:
“When hearing appeals, panels must not take account of where the admission authority has placed a child on the waiting list.”

In my submission, the LA person I emailed to find out which position I am on the waiting list for the appealed school, has included it in the submission. The actual email. Is this maladministration? Do I tell the clerk, that it should not have been included?

What shall I do?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It is standard practice for an LA to include any correspondence in the appeal papers - but in my authority I clearly recall that, if there was a letter about the waiting list, the position was edited out.

You could write and express concern to the clerk (especially if it's not a high W/L position and therefore not in your favour!).
The information has of course already gone out, but the panel ought to be reminded not to take account of it.

It might be argued that the Code doesn't say that the information can't be provided, merely that panels mustn't take account of it. That begs the question "So why are you providing information that could potentially influence the panel?"
Etienne
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Etienne wrote:The information has of course already gone out, but the panel ought to be reminded not to take account of it.

It might be argued that the Code doesn't say that the information can't be provided, merely that panels mustn't take account of it.
It's quite surprising the number of times I hear the position in the waiting list during an appeal - almost every time it comes from a parent who thinks there is a link between waiting list position and outcome of the appeal. Every time, the Chair will remind everyone that waiting list position isn't taken into account in deciding appeals and that the panel should ignore it.

Put it another way - if the position on the waiting list decided the outcome of the appeal, why bother hearing the appeals (apart for non-quals)?
Capers
NorthLondonMummy

Thank you again.

Etienne

If I lose, since it is an Academy - is there anything further I can do? Ombudsman??
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

See references to the EFA (which has taken over academy complaints from the YPLA):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/ombudsman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now