Appealing after casual in year test taken ..not passed

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Appealing after casual in year test taken ..not passed

Post by Etienne »

The Admissions Code (para 1.32) says schools must test for aptitude not ability. So, you may be able to argue that a curriculum based test (especially as she was taught abroad) meant she was not able to demonstrate her aptitude (as opposed to say a VR test)? I'm sure there are others better qualified than me on this forum who could confirm whether or not this would be a valid argument. However, Amber's point about a curriculum test allowing children to put not covered would seem to get around this point.
Para. 1.32 of the Admissions Code is referring not to grammar schools, but very specifically to banding (used by some admission authorities to ensure that the intake for a school includes a proportionate spread of children of different abilities).

Note paras. 1.17 - 1.18:
    • Selection by ability or aptitude
      1.17 All selective schools must publish the entry requirements for a selective place and the process for such selection.

1.18 Only designated Grammar schools are permitted to select their entire intake on the basis of high academic ability ....
Section 104 of the School Standards & Framework Act 1998 deals with grammar schools and academic ability.
Etienne
Mum66

Re: Appealing after casual in year test taken ..not passed

Post by Mum66 »

Thanks Etienne - I knew there would be others better informed.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now