Does this warrant an appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Does this warrant an appeal?

Post by Etienne »

The circumstances ought to be taken into account, but - as mentioned above - strong academic evidence is likely to be what matters most.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Manana

Post by Manana »

Etienne wrote:The circumstances ought to be taken into account, but - as mentioned above - strong academic evidence is likely to be what matters most.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for you post, Etienne. Can you give me any examples of the academic evidence required?

Can you tell me when and how the appeals process would begin (we are in Essex) and if it's worth contacting the head of her school now to warn her of the situation?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Manana wrote:Thank you for you post, Etienne. Can you give me any examples of the academic evidence required?
Follow the link I gave you above, and go to no. 4.
Can you tell me when and how the appeals process would begin (we are in Essex)
Follow the link I gave you above, and go to no. 1.
...... and if it's worth contacting the head of her school now to warn her of the situation?
I would suggest waiting until much nearer the time.
Etienne
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

I have no experience but I'm afraid I think too many others would be able to claim the same disadvantage for it to stand as an appeal. My son was at WHSB, went in at 8.30, returned to me at 12.50 (and he was one of the first groups out!) And no refreshments were provided; in fairness, you were told to provide a snack 'if part of your child's morning routine' but lots of us in the (huge) queue were worrying that bottles of drink might be banned in case they had mathematical formulae hidden on them! And I didn't think he'd need lunch! :lol:

Those in the know now tell me (rather late :roll: !) that I should have chosen one of the comprehensive members of the CSSE, where it's much quieter, they finish on time and have cake!
Last edited by FlightyRachel on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manana

Post by Manana »

FlightyRachel wrote:I have no experience but I'm afraid I think too many others would be able to claim the same disadvantage for it to stand as an appeal. My son was at WHSB, went in at 8.30, returned to me at 1.50 (and he was one of the first groups out!) And no refreshments were provided; in fairness, you were told to provide a snack 'if part of your child's morning routine' but lots of us in the (huge) queue were worrying that bottles of drink might be banned in case they had mathematical formulae hidden on them! And I didn't think he'd need lunch! :lol:

Those in the know now tell me (rather late :roll: !) that I should have chosen one of the comprehensive members of the CSSE, where it's much quieter, they finish on time and have cake!

Our letter strictly forbade us from bringing snacks as they were provided! We obviously had a different letter to you.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

CCHS provided water and one biscuit which was what happened.

WHSG letter said to provide snack (registration was 7.45-8.25 test start 9am) I provided as instructed.

The pick up, originally 11.50, was delayed by 10 minutes as they didn't factor in reading time for the English test. This as announced to those of us sitting in the canteen drinking coffee and buying too many cakes.

I wonder if the test was delayed at WHSB because of late arrivals from the 11+ tourists.

My favourite was when I was chatting to one of the helpers and a lady and her son asked if they could cut through a certain part of the car park to get to the boys school as they had tried to sign in at the girls hall! This was at 8.50! I don't suppose they bothered with the open evening than?
FlightyRachel

Post by FlightyRachel »

WHSG certainly seemed very organised. They had even sorted parking for their guests! WHSB was very busy. Their registration was from 8.30 till 9.10 so actually that poor lost lady wasn't late, and I doubt she's the only person to find Westcliff schools shared site a bit confusing.

Manana, I imagine all letters/arrangements were slightly different depending on the school. I remember my other son getting a biscuit and drink at KEGS! But they put him in the wrong room! Let's hope the stress made no difference to your niece. :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Manana, I fear that St.Bernard's sitters definitely drew the short straw this time :(.

My informant from the SHSB sitting said that there were not only biscuits there, but custard creams and enough for two each to boot.

There will definitely be refreshments at the reserve date sitting at SHSB on Tuesday; at a meeting last night the PA asked for volunteers to help serve them.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
marigold

Post by marigold »

KEGS catered for FOUR biscuits per candidate and not only where there custard creams but choc digestives, jamy dodgers and cookies amongst the rich teas and digestives. I think extra marks should be given to the gimlet eyed boy who entered the room, spotted the trays with more exotic offerings and pounced, a skill usually only seen amongst middle aged women at the first day of the sales.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

marigold wrote:KEGS catered for FOUR biscuits per candidate and not only where there custard creams but choc digestives, jamy dodgers and cookies amongst the rich teas and digestives. I think extra marks should be given to the gimlet eyed boy who entered the room, spotted the trays with more exotic offerings and pounced, a skill usually only seen amongst middle aged women at the first day of the sales.

:lol: when we provide the cricket club half time biscuits in the summer, we have to watch hawk eyed, cricket bat hovering menacingly for the handful grabbers. :lol: We also have to offer the visiting club the trays first, for fear that there won't be any choccy ones left, even though we deliberately buy extra choccy ones to supplement the mixed packs. As a parent of shy children, I tend to secretly reserve a few special ones for the quiet children who get bundled in front of, it makes their cricket match to realise being quiet, polite and holding back can very occasionally get rewarded too!

I am sure world politicians could learn a lot ftom the humble biscuit tray squabbles of our children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now