we are going to appeal we have nothing to lose

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
a worried mum in crisis

we are going to appeal we have nothing to lose

Post by a worried mum in crisis »

we have decided we are going to appeal we have nothing to lose apart from i will probably look 10 x older and grey .
we have spoken to kings school headmaster and he said that we should try because if you try and fail is better than not try at all .
he did advise me to put my other preffered schools 1st has if i put kings 3rd i got more chance of him getting into the others if the appeal is not successful fingers crossed ......................
Meg

Post by Meg »

If you put the Grammar 3rd choice and succeeded on appeal, are you sure you would be offered a place?

My understanding is that under the new admissions code, if your 1st or 2nd choice schools had a place available for your child then you would be offered one of these and not the Grammar, even if your appeal was successful.
Or would you prefer the other 2 schools anyway?

It might be worth talking it through with your local admissions officer at the LEA to clarify the situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Janeo

Post by Janeo »

AWMIC

Please be careful what you put on that form. I'm not sure that putting the Grammar 3rd choice would get you a place on appeal. Are you in Lincs - is it that Kings school you refer to? If so, please post under the Lincs section where Alex and others who are much more knowledgeble than me will give you some insight into how the form works.

Good luck to you
Louise

Post by Louise »

Hi WMIC,

I really feel for you as I was in your situation last year. I went through the appeal process at Kings in Grantham so if you want any info do pm me. On our schools application form I did put Kings as first choice as I was a bit suspicious of the whole process and then another school as second choice. We were of course turned down for Kings as our son hadn't reached the qualifying standard and we were offered our second choice. I don't really think it matters if you put the grammar school down or not as his entry into kKngs is dependant on a successful appeal. Thinking of you.
Louise
Alex

Post by Alex »

The Grammar School must go down on the CAF as a preference because you can only appeal for a place at a school to which you have applied. There is no advantage to putting it down as first choice though - appeals panels for Grammar Schools understand that if you have not qualified initially you would be better advised to put a non-selective school first. They will not "hold it against you" if you put it lower down the list.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I should have pointed out that my reply above is specific to Lincolnshire where all appeals are held after allocation day. Please always check the arrangements for your own area.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now