Selection Review/Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
heartmum

Re: Selection Review/Appeal?

Post by heartmum »

<The policy has changed since last year. (I think CEM have asked Bucks not to release raw scores.)>

:( just read your post on another thread - that's a shame.
Heartmum x x x
mad?

Post by mad? »

Sorry to hear this Heartmum, cyberhugs and good luck to you xx
mad?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote:<The policy has changed since last year. (I think CEM have asked Bucks not to release raw scores.)>

:( just read your post on another thread - that's a shame.
But see what I wrote further up in this thread .......
    • If you were to make a request for raw scores under the Data Protection Act, Bucks would probably forward it to CEM, and I think it likely that CEM would have to agree to release of the scores.
Etienne
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

So sorry heartmum, I know a few who passed reviews and appeals with 114 last year, not sure of course how this year's scores fall.
Good luck with it all.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks 'southbusks3' it's just trying to work out where DC went wrong, with two of the areas being very strong (excellent scores) just English was the weaker area (although is above average at school) and being 50% of the mark pushed DC the wrong way. If the tests had been equally split 3-ways ... well let's just say I'd have been toasting my wine not downing it in sorrow :roll:

Well done to your DC :D x x x
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Thanks Etienne :D .. think I need to get up to speed with all the posts, been a few years since I did this :roll:
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

How much can one do with a 'large' glass of wine and determination:

1) Make an appointment with Head teacher = tick :)
2) Contact Bucks CC with regards to remark analysis = tick (BCC to call back Monday) :)
3) Make an appointment with Doctors for diagnosis letter = tick :)
4) Start drafting letter to go with review/appeal paperwork = tick (wording to be determined on whether review or appeal - decision to be made after meeting with Head teacher) :)

... finally open and eat large bar of chocolate = tick 8) :wink:

All in a day's work in the 'Heartmum' household :shock:
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote: 2) Contact Bucks CC with regards to remark analysis = tick (BCC to call back Monday) :)
Bear in mind that they won't willingly provide raw scores!
4) Start drafting letter to go with review/appeal paperwork = tick (wording to be determined on whether review or appeal - decision to be made after meeting with Head teacher) :)
Bear in mind that 'the system' wants to steer everyone towards a review, and primary heads have been 'programmed' accordingly!
The only place you will find the pros and cons set out in detail is in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e9b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No one can tell you which route will serve you best.
    • We never advise one route rather than another on the forum, because there are no easy answers. We can only say “Whatever you do will be a bit of a gamble – just be aware of all the issues which no one else will be telling you about”.

I’m afraid if you go straight to appeal, and it doesn’t work out, you’ll be saying “If only we had gone to review.”
      And if you go to review and it doesn’t work out, you’ll be saying “If only we had gone straight to appeal
      ”!
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Hi Etienne, thanks for the reply. :)

I understand the appeal process better, but a review is a whole new ball game! :shock: I want to speak to the Head and firstly gauge their recommendations on my DC, i.e. full support/not - if their recommendations were based on full year and not taking into account the medical reasons which once diagnosed saw a great deal of changes within my DC by year end (have appt. with Doctor on Monday for back up letter). For me DC was like a different child by the end of the school year. The focusing issues may not have seriously affected Maths/NVR results as DC is very strong in these areas, but in English which is slightly weaker that may be a different story. With the changes in DC this year that would give a stronger case in an appeal. So in my mind these factors will determine whether we go for review or appeal.

The comment in section E/Appeals would then suit an appeal (... there has been a marked improvement in Mary’s work recently and we would now rate her as a 2:1” (‘2’ for academic potential, ‘1’ for attitude to work) - as I know from the results coming out of school since Y6 definitely back this up and if the school would support this! The risk then is appealing for oversubscription. But one bridge at a time!

We are considering the Ed. Psyc. route due to large discrepancy in the result (English v Maths/NVR) and need to understand what happened. DC is a slow reader, meticulous (hence strong Maths/NVR) and I am sure (without being able to provide evidence - hence the raw score may have backed this up) that the two passage type tests, comprehension/cloze is where DC lost points/ran out of time. A SATS (May 2014) for reading 5C, reading age 12, spelling age 13.5 yrs (at 10 yrs) is good; showing the result in the test doesn't fit in with actual ability. I know I have to show academic ability in this area as Maths/NVR are no issue, hopefully an Ed. Psyc. report may show why there was a discrepancy ... although no guarantee!

I'll keep plodding away ... :roll:
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'll keep plodding away ... :roll:
Well done! You're obviously thinking things through very carefully. :)
Keep your options open.

Even if you should decide to skip the review, do ask the headteacher to do the review paperwork, as (ideally) you'd need it for an appeal.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now