Selection Review/Appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Re: Selection Review/Appeal?

Post by heartmum »

Etienne wrote:
I'll keep plodding away ... :roll:
...Even if you should decide to skip the review, do ask the headteacher to do the review paperwork, as (ideally) you'd need it for an appeal.
I didn't know you could do that - good idea :)

Also I'm trying to locate the official SATS information which states that children can achieve up to 2 sub-levels in a year .. the school (I know from another parent appealing two years ago - who was successful) had to argue with the school who were determined to go down the ".. in our experience children will only achieve an additional 1 sub-level in the year" I would like to have this information to hand when meeting the Head teacher (be prepared - the girl guide in me) just in case they try that line with me. 8)
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Children are expected to make two levels of progress in KS2 ie 6 sub levels in total in 4 years.

Nationally 90% make this progress but 30% make 'more than expected progress' ie three levels = 9 sub levels.

An able child should make roughly two sublevels a year (4 x 2 = 8) but children do not necessarily progress in a straight line!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

heartmum wrote:
Etienne wrote: ...Even if you should decide to skip the review, do ask the headteacher to do the review paperwork, as (ideally) you'd need it for an appeal.
I didn't know you could do that - good idea :)
Ask for the paperwork to be done - and then decide what to do! :)
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:...An able child should make roughly two sublevels a year (4 x 2 = 8) but children do not necessarily progress in a straight line!
Is there a document which I can obtain which states the expected progress in KS2?
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... 2_2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any good? It is 2012 but still holds ... see para 3
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... 2_2012.pdf

Thanks for that Guest55 :) - is there anything about sub-levels, i.e. 5c - expected progress end of year 5a?
My DC is already L5 in subjects but at appeal they look at sub-levels to ascertain academic ability.
Heartmum x x x
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

heartmum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... 2_2012.pdf

Thanks for that Guest55 :) - is there anything about sub-levels, i.e. 5c - expected progress end of year 5a?
My DC is already L5 in subjects but at appeal they look at sub-levels to ascertain academic ability.
I've tried to look for any information regarding sub-levels and expected progress. DCs school follow the line that children generally do not progress more than 1 sub-level in a year, i.e. 5C end Y5 so 5B end Y6 .. not 5A. As a parent it is very hard to argue against a teacher unless there is written evidence that shows able children are more than able to progress 2 sub-levels in a year if challenged academically.
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

See the later part of the paragraph.

'Good' progress would need 7 sublevels over KS2 so that's level 3 to a level 5a. In maths (2013 data) a quarter of KS1 level 3 made level 6 ....

Schools aiming for one sub-level are at risk from Ofsted as 7 sub levels/4 years is much nearer 2 than 1.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Guest55 wrote:See the later part of the paragraph.

'Good' progress would need 7 sublevels over KS2 so that's level 3 to a level 5a. In maths (2013 data) a quarter of KS1 level 3 made level 6 ....

Schools aiming for one sub-level are at risk from Ofsted as 7 sub levels/4 years is much nearer 2 than 1.
Missed that :oops: thank you Guest55 - fount of all knowledge :D
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No problem - happy to help when I can :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now