Should we review? Bucks

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blueberrypie

Re: Should we review? Bucks

Post by Blueberrypie »

Hope DD is ok, and you of course. Such a cruel system for ones so young isn't it. Thinking of you.x
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thankyou sbb3 and blueberrypie,

This evening my daughter had a party to go to a fellow Y5, 16 children from her class only one of them had passed and the others failed to score over 100, it would seem only 4 have passed in total that we know. The kids were all great and kind offering lots of hugs as they knew she really wanted to pass , the power of love amongst young 10yr olds was overwhelming and lovely to watch . I'm so glad my daughter decided to go , she had a super time. She feels so much better and is now trying to look at her new choice of school as a positive. Thank you all for the kind words and support these last two days.

I'll keep you posted with the outcome of the HT meeting.

Dollyx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What lovely friends she has :D
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

She does G55, a really lovely bunch, it was great to c her smiling and laughing again! X
Blueberrypie

Post by Blueberrypie »

How lovely of them, and good that the majority of the class will be going to her secondary school with her by the sounds of it. Really pleased she has such good friends. Makes life a lot nicer doesn't it.x
Lillie

Post by Lillie »

That is so lovely to hear that all her friends were so kind and supportive. Dreadful system which makes 10 year old children feel this way. The children are examples to us all.

Best of luck to you and your DD. My DD1 is doing absolutely great at her local upper. In all the top sets these last couple of years, lovely, supportive teachers and a lovely set of friends. Plus not having to trek half way across the county / across county boundaries to get to so-called perceived "better" schools.

There is really so much rubbish which this system generates and the poor DC are the pawns in it all. Somehow, they shake themselves down and hopefully make the best of the schools they go to.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks everyone for your lovely kind support. It has been a long weekend but it's looking brighter again by the minute.
I got chatting with some of the parents at the birthday party last night, I have to say how lucky I am, they were so supportive , a few have children at both uppers and grammars, it really made me feel so much better knowing they had had similar situations in the past. And many of their children that just missed the pass mark are flying in their uppers , gifted and talented etc. it was really encouraging listening to their experiences. I feel very lucky that we are at a school with no 11+ envy between the parents. Two of the children smashed the pass mark, the scores were fantastic and the parents were just so humble about it and the kids were too. X
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Head teacher Appointment tomorrow 1045, fingers crossed. Spoke with my daughters Y6 teacher this morning to warn her she might have a wobble or two today at school. She was so surprised she didn't pass, which was comforting. X
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Just back from my HT meeting, they have graded her as a 1/1, already 5A reading , 5B writing and 5C maths. Reading age 15yrs ( she's only turned 10 in August) spelling age 14yrs 7 months. No cat scores as they don't do them. He felt my daughter was a sure bet to pass and is quite shocked ( not in a bad way), fully supports the review, mentioned that she is Grammar school material and uppers are great but she needs to be a Grammar . He mentioned that he will write something along the lines that she is the youngest in the year and could have affected age maturity at the time she sat the exam, however currently at school she this last month her teacher has reported that she is flying in both Maths ( now on target for level 6 ) and English.

I was so overwhelmed with his recommendation I feel almost weepy again! I. I now have to fill in the green form and I can't remember what he said to write in the box :? Any tips , I remember he said to keep it short??? Emotional dolly xx
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hi dolly,

All sound a very positive.

Without cat tests you are very reliant on the teachers recommendation and school testing.
Hopefully the reading and spelling tests are independent tests even if marked by teachers?

Two things to check:

How many 1:1 passed....very important as the emphasis of your appeal is on the teachers opinion of your daughter.

What were her ks 1 levels?

You dd very well not to shed a tear....I did when my school teacher told me how brill my son was. Well done!

Here for you, with the epe gang.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now