Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Re: Strategy tips - Bucks - please.

Post by heartmum »

Hi Hyacinth ... sorry to hijack your thread :)

Etienne .. in my DCs case the Head Teacher left the school last Easter, no Head for summer term (a Head from another school came in twice a week to cover/assist during the interim -covering their school and DCs) with the new Head starting just this September. Obviously as he was not able to comment on ability, it was down to the head of Y5/6 to make the recommendations. How would a review panel judge this?

Good Luck Hyacinth with your journey - 120 is a good score, I wish my DC was nearer to the magic 121 :roll: x x x
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Obviously as he was not able to comment on ability, it was down to the head of Y5/6 to make the recommendations. How would a review panel judge this?
I'm not sure it would make any difference. In some schools I suspect it's the Y5/Y6 classteachers who do the recommendations anyway!
Etienne
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

So, I have just returned from my meeting with the head and feel utterly despondent.
Despite saying she would strongly support DS's review (she never mentioned the possibility of an appeal instead), she had already completed the head teacher's summary by the time we got there so it doesn't take any of our concerns or thoughts into account. Perhaps this is standard....
She would not tell me how many children passed or even got close.
She would not tell me how many had been recommended.
She glossed over the disruptions.
I don't think she is being intentionally difficult, but perhaps underestimates the task ahead. Maybe I am over-thinking it but I just don't want to be complacent.
Right, so I have to stop being emotional and get down to business.
Step one:
Do you think it would be acceptable for me to contact her to say that I feel the sheet doesn't quite reflect the level of support I felt she was willing to give in the meeting (it's very "conscientious student" and they've spelt his name incorrectly throughout)?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd be cautious about a review if she is being this unhelpful.

It might be better to wait for an appeal so you can present ALL the evidence you want.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Guest55 wrote:I'd be cautious about a review if she is being this unhelpful.

It might be better to wait for an appeal so you can present ALL the evidence you want.

Guest55, that's how I'm feeling too :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What KS2 test predictions is she giving? Did she confirm the HT recommendation?

Maybe Etienne will be along soon to comment as she's our expert on these things.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

Sorry to hear that hyacinth, 120 is so so close don't lose heart. Maybe schedule another appointment with the head?
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

Yes, she confirmed the 2:2 recommendation as suspected.
KS2 predictions are:
Reading 5c
Writing 4a
Maths 5b
Obviously not as good as they could be, hence my worry about the head's additional info.
One interesting point was the NFER Group Reading Test age of 14:04. I'm not sure how much sway that would have though...

If anyone could guide me on how to request the invigilator's report under the FOA I would much appreciate it.
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

MamaBear wrote:Sorry to hear that hyacinth, 120 is so so close don't lose heart. Maybe schedule another appointment with the head?
Thank you. It was actually over 120.5 but rounded down :cry:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Can you meet his teacher instead, you really need to know how many other children passed at that same level, the review panel know this information, why shouldn't you.
The review panel also get ks1 results and his yearly nc levels through middle school.
Facts not flannel is required.
Any reason for the 4a?
To help you feel better both appeal panels I encountered had heads of grammars present in the group meetings, both were on review panels and both said the first and single most important piece of evidence of ability was the score....120 is as high as they will see! :D
Good luck, it's all so nerve wrecking.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now