what does a 1.1 from a headteacher mean?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MamaBear

what does a 1.1 from a headteacher mean?

Post by MamaBear »

Sorry to be so dense, but what does a 1.1 mean from the headteacher?
Etienne

Re: what does a 1.1 from a headteacher mean?

Post by Etienne »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Usually written: "1:1")
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

Etienne wrote:http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9

(Usually written: "1:1")
I have just looked at this out of curiosity (alone in a hotel room - bit bored) and am fairly stunned that no one has mounted a legal challenge to this hugely subjective categorisation of children. The phrase 'output varies' (which would probably have applied to all three of my children when they were 10 and probably still applies to me now!) is stunning: with resonances of factories (workhouses?) and completely lacking nuance or context. Wow.

However, I will resist the urge to write an essay about it and ask instead if this kind of thing is only used at appeals, or if it has any bearing at all on the 11 plus and if the child's next school gets to see it? And do parents get to see it if they don't have to appeal?

What an incredible thing to be going on in the 21st century! I am shocked it is allowed, I really am. :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it's bizarre too ...

It is used at review and appeal; the parent doesn't get to know otherwise. It's not part of the test process otherwise.

Last year a 1:1 was part of review and, of course, it couldn't be shown that one HT 1:1 was the same as another's. I think it needs to go ...

Are you somewhere exciting? PM me if you prefer not to say where on here.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

(X-post with G55)
Amber wrote:hugely subjective categorisation of children.
Not surprisingly there are inconsistencies between primary schools. (A '1' at one school might be a '2' or even a '3' at another.)
The phrase 'output varies' (which would probably have applied to all three of my children when they were 10 and probably still applies to me now!) is stunning: with resonances of factories (workhouses?) and completely lacking nuance or context. Wow.
I'm not sure much attention is paid to the second figure, but the first one matters.
However, I will resist the urge to write an essay about it and ask instead if this kind of thing ...... has any bearing at all on the 11 plus
No.
and if the child's next school gets to see it?
I don't think so.
And do parents get to see it if they don't have to appeal?
They get to see it if they want a review, because they ask their headteacher to complete a 'review summary sheet' where the recommendation appears.
Follow link in E33 (scroll down to "Advice"):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e33" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise I don't think so - although they could probably insist under the Data Protection Act.
Etienne
Amber

Post by Amber »

Are you somewhere exciting? PM me if you prefer not to say where on here.
I am not; and tempting as it is to post my exact location in case someone wants to bring me some hot samosas (see Diwali thread) I have PMed you.

Thanks Etienne. :D