Head's recommendation, disability and age (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Re: Head's recommendation, disability and age

Post by heartmum »

Bumblebeez wrote:The letter for our first appeal has arrived. Stage One is at 9.30 in the morning and is for the Admission Authority to state its case. Apparently nothing about our DD will or should be mentioned then, so I presume that unlike our last appeal under the old system they are doing Stage One as a job lot for the school rather than repeating it all for each child. Stage Two is at 2.30.
Is there any point in going to Stage One under these circumstances? The only point I can think of is that we might get a sense of the Panel Members, presuming they are the same ones who will be hearing our Stage Two at 2.30. DH wants to be supportive and involved but being there at 9.30 as well as 2.30 would mean taking 2 days leave, and then there's still the second appeal to come. What do you advise? Thanks.
... :shock: about the timings, still waiting to get the dates for our two appeals, this waiting game is a killer!
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Attendance isn't obligatory, but reasons why it might be a good idea to be present for stage one were set out in A10:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=41358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Like Bumblebeez my OH may have a problem getting two whole days off work, would it be acceptable to a panel if only one parent attended Stage One (put forward any generic questions for FCO) and then both could attend the second stage for individual appeal? Basically only two ½ days from work!
Heartmum x x x
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes - one parent would be fine.
Etienne
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

Thanks, and for the link. I've belatedly learned that I can print off your advice! :oops: How does anyone navigate all this without help?
salsa

Post by salsa »

I would definitely go. My husband and I spotted a couple of things during stage 1 of one of our appeals. I could discuss it with him and change our strategy accordingly. I could also see there were more than 80 sets of parents in the room. (It was an oversubscription appeal). We got a good feel for the panel and when we had stage 2 we were more relaxed. Some of the other parents asked questions I wouldn't have thought of or dare ask. If your husband is very observant I would definitely take him along.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is fine to go on your own if your husband can't get there, presumably at any stage you could take a friend instead. Can be useful to have a calm soul who is one step detached from the process !
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

80 set of parents! Yikes! I preferred the confidentiality of the old system, but I suppose on the plus side there's the advantage of numbers and other people posing questions. How long will this part go on for, anyone know? I should try to squeeze in a few hours work in between, if I can concentrate. :lol:
salsa

Post by salsa »

I guess it depends on the number of questions. I would say about one hour. Stage 2 about 30 mins. Again it would depend on the case.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

GS appeals in Bucks are more complicated because of FCO. I would have thought one hour is likely to be the minimum for a stage one. Two hours or thereabouts is a possibility.

As Salsa says, it depends in part on the questions.
It depends too on how talkative the chair happens to be.

Also bear in mind that things do not always go according to plan. In 2013 a stage one was reported on here as starting 2 hours late (presumably because a key participant was missing!).
Etienne