essex appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rowcycle

essex appeal

Post by rowcycle »

Anyone been successful in Southend appeal ?
rowcycle

Re: essex appeal shsb

Post by rowcycle »

rowcycle wrote:Anyone been successful in Southend appeal ?
has anyone appealed to shsb? In catchment. Success rate looks low to non existent. Cant find much about essex shsb on here. My ds only got 287, will this worth pursuing? Csse papers changed this year no vr but creative writing Instead worth quarter of english mark. He misread question knew before results day. Have had paper looked at shsb and confirmed creative writing score very low. 26/60 English 41/60 maths. Have elder son at shsb, school is 5 mins walk. Ds top sets. Guaranteed 303 secures grammar place in catchment this year. Additional circumstances younger sibling admitted to hospital twice lead up to exam. I roughly think 5/6 more points equate to a score of 303. Creative writing was out of 15. Do I let this go is it too far from required score to persue? My ds could cope with grammar sats yr 5 virtually identical to eldest who passed. Thanks
Ann221a

Re: essex appeal

Post by Ann221a »

Hi. We appealed to WHSB last year - unsuccessfully I am afraid. I believe the appeals panel was the same for SHSB or at least in part. Success rates of appeal have been virtually zero for years (WHSB allowed 2 appeals to be upheld about 3/4 years ago but only because they had not reached their PAN and it brought admissions up to that level). We were out of catchment and just missed the cut off. We had extenuating circumstances and level 6 SATS and they concluded that the extenuating circumstances did affect his score and he was suitable for GS, but it would prejudice the school to go over PAN. To be honest I am not sure therefore under what circumstance an appeal for these schools would be upheld but happy to help if I can.
ahap

Post by ahap »

People have won appeals, not many though. 3 or 4 in the past 20 years I think in Essex. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think more people have won in Southend than in Essex. So take the chance if you can. I am happy to help too if I can.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
rowcycle

Post by rowcycle »

Thanks
Last edited by rowcycle on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now