Appeal query - Borough of Poole

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JenniT

Appeal query - Borough of Poole

Post by JenniT »

Hi,

New to the forum, so hope I am doing this right!

My daughter passed the entrance exam for Parkstone Grammar School, which is an Academy, in October last year(pass mark was 90, she scored 100, I'm told this was quite high).

Following hearing the result of the test, there was a two week window during which time an application had to be submitted to the local authority (borough of Poole). During this time, a member of our family (my aunt) was diagnosed with lymphoma and sadly passed away very shortly afterwards, the funeral took place on the date the applications were required. In all the drama, somehow, (I still don't know how) we simply forgot about the application. I realised 2 days after the deadline what I had done and I cannot tell you how devastated I was.

Obviously we contacted the authority and the school, they were sympathetic, but we were told that it would be dealt with as a late application and if we were not offered a place we could appeal.
The school had a large number of applicants and therefore I am working on the basis that we will need to appeal, particularly as we are out of catchment and the school allocates catchment kids who have passed and then non-catchment kids after. (we may have had to appeal anyway).

My question is what grounds to use?
Will I be able to find out if she would have got a place with her score on the first round of applications, in which case would I structure the appeal around the circumstances that caused the late application?

Or should I focus on oversubscription and why that particular school is right for my daughter.

My other possibility is that she also does around 20 hours of sports training per week outside of school hours (she competes at national level), and achieved her test result despite this and with no tutoring, so we could explore this to demonstrate academic ability.

Any advice gratefully received.
J
Etienne

Re: Appeal query - Borough of Poole

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum! :D
JenniT wrote:Will I be able to find out if she would have got a place with her score on the first round of applications, in which case would I structure the appeal around the circumstances that caused the late application?
Although you cannot argue that there has been an error in the admission arrangements, you do need to explain to the panel the circumstances around the late application.
I suggest you acknowledge that the LA and school were very sympathetic, but acted correctly.
(It's more likely to win you some sympathy from the panel!)
Or should I focus on oversubscription and why that particular school is right for my daughter.
Yes!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My other possibility is that she also does around 20 hours of sports training per week outside of school hours (she competes at national level), and achieved her test result despite this and with no tutoring, so we could explore this to demonstrate academic ability.
I wouldn't advocate this line of argument as her ability isn't really in question.
You cannot, in any case, prove a negative (i.e. that she wasn't tutored.)
Etienne
JenniT

Re: Appeal query - Borough of Poole

Post by JenniT »

Thank you,

At least I can get started and know where to focus now.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now