Appealing for non Grammar school?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

K76

Appealing for non Grammar school?

Post by K76 »

Is there any point in appealing for the school we want or should we just go on a waiting list?

The school we want is out of catchment and although the school did take out of catchment children there was a cut off point and we are outside it.

I have no real reason I want my daughter to go there other than the fact they have better results than our catchment school.

These are not grammar schools but non selective schools in Bucks. In previous years we would have been able to get into any of the schools but this year we were offered our catchment school. I understand there is a second round of allocations. How does this work?

Any help or advice would be appreciated and apologies for asking a non grammar school question on a grammar school forum. We did try but daughter did not qualify and we are trying to make the best of our situation.
Guest55

Re: Appealing for non Grammar school?

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, there is a point in appealing if you think the other school would suit your child better. Lots of the advice in the appeals section is relevant - you have to prove that your child's needs outweigh any 'prejudice' to the school in taking an extra student.

Have a look at pupil numbers at the school. Do they often go above PAN? Have they 'grown' their sixth form recently? [If the have there must be room] I have helped with a few successful appeals to a local Upper.

There must be more about the school than 'better results' that makes it a better fit for your child.
K76

Post by K76 »

Thank you, unfortunately I can't think of a good reason. All her friends from school have also been offered the catchment upper school. I am unsure what we can do. We have no social ground for appeal. I will look into the information you have suggested.

Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look at GCSE options - do they both offer triple science? If your child is good at science this might be important.

One of the children I helped was a fantastic musician, one of the schools did not offer music GCSE, no music clubs ... so that was one good plus point amongst others. You do need to argue FOR the school you want rather than against the other ...
K76

Post by K76 »

That is interesting. I will go off and do some research on both schools and see what I can find. Thanks!