BucksMum02's appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

BucksMum02's appeal

Post by Etienne »

BucksMum02 wrote:I would like to run our appeal past someone (like yourself), in the know. Am I able to pay for your services to look over our FCO case, and appeal itself.
Hi BucksMum02

Sorry, but I don't take on cases privately.

I don't believe anyone should normally have to pay for appeals advice:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My efforts are focused on the forum, the Q&As, and 'How to appeal for a Bucks GS'.
I feel this is the most effective use of my time.

If there's anything you feel able to post on the forum, I'm happy to try and help.
As you may have noticed on this forum I have a tendency to talk a lot, and I know that my case will be weak because I want to tell them EVERYTHING....!
As far as your written submission is concerned, 'How to appeal for a Bucks GS' tells you how much to write for each section.
It even tells you what to write for FCO!

For the rest of your case, the only thing that really matters is evidence! :)
Etienne
BucksMum02

Re: How to appeal for a Bucks GS place, March 2015

Post by BucksMum02 »

Hi Etienne

I completely understand... well here goes, for the world to see...!

My DC achieved L3 in Yr 2 for Maths and L2a for reading and writing. By end of Yr 3 he was L3a in maths with an expected summer target of 4c.

We had significant difficulties and moved into Bucks. We moved schools twice and it took him a long time to settle. Because of the difficulties at home he was extremely anxious and unable to sleep properly for a long time (months) - we were very unfocussed on him! We were also unaware of some difficulties going on with that year.

It was not until he did not pass the 11+ when I was appealing, that I realised that he was still a 3a at the end of Y4 in maths and 3c in writing.

Since we have done our parenting job properly and sorted our lives out... he has come on leaps and bounds since October. In yr 6 he has improved from L4c end of Yr 5 to 5B in Maths (working to L6), to 5C in reading but is low on his writing leve (4C).

My argument is, that I think it is obvious that his environment affected his performance greatly. He is Summer born and has been given a 2,3 by the school.

I am utterly convinced he is would benefit from a GS education - but I literally just need someone to help me to see reality! I feel that he skipped a lot of the 'Bucks style' speed and vocabulary training which is so ingrained in the kids here.

So you see my difficulty - the evidence I need is all extenuating apart from those early year scores - and I know kids naturally plateau in yrs 4-5 - so what on earth can I do to prove the case? His current school does not support the 11+ and although the HT agrees he woud fare well at GS, just won't 'support'. It's very frustrating.
Etienne

Re: How to appeal for a Bucks GS place, March 2015

Post by Etienne »

Without the academic evidence, I'm afraid you won't have a case. :?

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What evidence have you gathered so far?

For example, have you got CAT scores from school?
If they don't do CATs, have you got a report from an educational psychologist, assessing his ability?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... ication#b3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Without even mentioning the forbidden words "grammar school", will no one at his current school be willing to put in writing that "he has come on leaps and bounds since October"?
Failing that, is the improvement not evident from the standard of work in his exercise books?

What levels are the school predicting for the end of this year?
Etienne
BucksMum02

Re: BucksMum02's appeal

Post by BucksMum02 »

Hi Etienne

I guess it is possible that they might say he has come on leaps and bounds - the HT has certainly sent me an email saying he is doing well in Maths and Reading. I feel like they must hate me going in there now!

His predicted scores WERE (in Oct) (actual 4b maths, working to 5c Maths, 4b reading working to 5c,
4c writing working to 4a.

He is CURRENTLY 5b Maths (working to L6), 5c Reading (not sure of target), 4c writing (although his teacher told me a while ago that he is a 4b already so I need to check that) :-(.

The other key element which I loathe to mention, is that there have been concerns amonst the parents about teachers and behaviour in yrs 4&5 at this school. We moved into the area, and started at another school, then this school in yr 4. We were so happy he got in! However, there has been an enormous amount of correspondence between parents and the school about the issues. I believe the school may be defence mode, as lots of parents are holding the school accountable for kids not achieving well.... (not us - as that is not our argument) - but you could see why it might be difficult for them to support anyone at the moment!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now