KENT Did your child get through on appeal?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Post by Guest »

Amherst in Sevenoaks

Post by Guest »

We moved to this area from Cornwall last February. When looking at schools, 5 primry school heads in the area said that they were prohibited form giving any help to children with 11+ preparation. One head said it was against the rules; another said it was against the law because they could get into serious trouble if they were found to have coached children. My daugther got no help at school with the 11+ - but, i have heard that some of the local schools start working with groups of kids for the exam from year 5. luckily my daughter got through. But, I'm curious, are the schools allowed to give the kids extra support or not?

Post by Guest »

The 11+ group at our school did a practice paper once a week and I know that another local school also does the same thing.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:We moved to this area from Cornwall last February. When looking at schools, 5 primry school heads in the area said that they were prohibited form giving any help to children with 11+ preparation. One head said it was against the rules; another said it was against the law because they could get into serious trouble if they were found to have coached children. My daugther got no help at school with the 11+ - but, i have heard that some of the local schools start working with groups of kids for the exam from year 5. luckily my daughter got through. But, I'm curious, are the schools allowed to give the kids extra support or not?
That certainly confirms what I've heard. When I asked the head about coaching, she told me that it was absolutely forbidden by law, under any circumstances.

Funny how so many other schools do it. I bet they just give it a different name. The system is rotten to the core.

Re: Did your child get through on appeal?

Post by Guest »

Becs wrote:Hi Armans
My son got 138:129:126. We live 3.4 miles from our local grammer in Kent but we have been sent to a Maidstone Grammer school. Its impossible for us to send him that far so we will be giveing up that place, have heart and try for appeal.
Forgive me for asking, but if you couldn't get to the school, why did you put it on the list of options? Or can the LEA offer a place at a school that wasn't on your list?

Re: Did your child get through on appeal?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Becs wrote:Hi Armans
My son got 138:129:126. We live 3.4 miles from our local grammer in Kent but we have been sent to a Maidstone Grammer school. Its impossible for us to send him that far so we will be giveing up that place, have heart and try for appeal.
Forgive me for asking, but if you couldn't get to the school, why did you put it on the list of options? Or can the LEA offer a place at a school that wasn't on your list?
I got a school that wasnt on my list. I had the one 3.4 miles on my list.

11 plus appeals

Post by Guest »

my son had no help from school and is dyslexic and still got within 10 marks of passing is their any chance for him appealing ?
HP

Dyslexia - Appeals

Post by HP »

Hi Guest,

Have to say without more details its difficult to comment. Have a look at the Bucks thread for appeals you will see that they seem to be a law unto themselves. There is another thread General Topics - Advice please, quite a bit has been posted by Jan whose son is dyslexic and who is appealing, but as it appears with the help of a solicitor.

A couple of things to think about,

-do you have any profesional reports identifying your son as dyslexic (Educational Psychologist for instance)
-did you ask for extra time but your request was refused (see Jan's posts on this)
-You say that your son had no help from the school, has he received any tuition over the years (private or through school) that would identify that concessions would have been appropriate.
-Concessions usually mean extra time (up to 25%), if speed was the only issue i.e. your son could do the papers but didn't finish then consider appealing.
-If you had extra time awarded then your case is a lot weaker.

Ultimately, you have nothing to lose by appealing. Bright, but dyslexic is often a difficult concept to put forward. Consider contacting The Dyslexia Association www.bda-dyslexia.org.uk, or Disability Rights www.drc-gb.org.

Post a new topic on General Topics to see if anyone else can offer advice

Hope this helps

HP

Post by Guest »

As a dyslexic your child may well have had a right to special help during the tests e.g. more time to complete them and possibly having the questions read to him. If the school didn't provide this then you may have strong grounds for a breach of regulations and could bring a case of discrimination. Contact childrenslegalcentre.com for free advice. They also advise on appeals generally so this would be a helpful site for anyone thinking of launching an appeal.

Of course it is worth appealing - I know of others who are much further off (points wise) than you who are going to appeal. What have you got to lose? You don't have to put your child through it after all.

Very best of luck to you.

11 plus in Kent

Post by Guest »

Becs wrote:
Hi Armans

I got a school that wasnt on my list. I had the one 3.4 miles on my list.

My advice is to to Reallocation first - you must stand a chance of succeeding in your original choice (your local grammar, depending on which one it is) and if not then appeal. Please don't give up - we had to do the same last year as there was a surplus of place in the Maidstone area. We succeeded and so can you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now