Panicked in maths paper, poor 11 plus rank

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Worriedmum42

Panicked in maths paper, poor 11 plus rank

Post by Worriedmum42 »

Hi, my son sat his 11 plus a few weeks ago. He was on course for a good pass but got upset and panicked in the maths paper. He was brought out of the exam room 13 minutes into the 30 minute paper. He was sat in a room on his own and encouraged to carry on, but he was too upset and sat crying for the rest of the time. The organisers contacted us and spoke to his dad who tried to call him down without success.
He had put himself under a lot of pressure and was desperate to make it to the grammar school.
He did the first 18 of 40 questions before this happened but did not even guess the rest.
He went on to sit the English story writing paper (bit of grit there!)
In spite of this he scraped a pass (ranked 442 with pass mark of 450) but almost certainly not good enough for a place at the grammar school.
It is clear that what he did answer he must have done very well to achieve this rank (about 2,500 sit the test). Is this a place from which we could consider making an appeal in March?
Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Any advice gratefully received, he is very sad and feels like he let himself down.
Etienne

Re: Panicked in maths paper, poor 11 plus rank

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Is this a place from which we could consider making an appeal in March?
Extenuating circumstances would be part of your case, but evidence of academic ability is even more important.

Academic evidence, extenuating circumstances, chances of success, etc., are all discussed in the Q&As.

Start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
Worriedmum42

Post by Worriedmum42 »

Hi, thank you v much for your quick response,
I was hoping to use the 11 plus as evidence..... If I could show that he did well in what he actually answered. However it looks like I won't be able to get hold of the papers to prove that he didn't answer over half of the paper. It is on record that he came out of the test early.
His school don't like to talk about the 11 plus so might not get support there.
I'm worried about extenuating circumstances as we don't have a good reason why he had meltdown other than pressure on the day.
Will year 6 sats results come out too late to be any use? Can we use the 11 plus result as evidence? How might we best handle his panic which caused him to fail (I'm v conscious that if he'd guessed the other 20 odd questions he would have a place)
Thank you for taking the time to consider our situation.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Had he ever had any type of anxiety attack before?

Can he tell you what triggered it?

Had he sat any mocks to prepare him for exam conditions?

Do you have any other evidence of his academic ability?

Had he participated in any Maths challenges at all?

Does he have excellent school reports you can produce? DG
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Worriedmum42 wrote:Hi, thank you v much for your quick response,
I was hoping to use the 11 plus as evidence..... If I could show that he did well in what he actually answered. However it looks like I won't be able to get hold of the papers to prove that he didn't answer over half of the paper.
You have no legal right to see the papers, but you could try asking under the Data Protection Act for confirmation that he didn't answer over half the paper.
Here is a specimen letter which you could adapt:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You should also try asking (under the Data Protection Act) for a copy of that part of the invigilators log that refers to your son.
His school don't like to talk about the 11 plus so might not get support there.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm worried about extenuating circumstances as we don't have a good reason why he had meltdown other than pressure on the day.
For your written submission in March just stick to the facts of what happened, and provide the evidence.
Will year 6 sats results come out too late to be any use?
Probably. It depends how late in the summer term your appeal is - but in any case we're not sure that the new reporting system for year 6 SATs will be of much help.
Etienne
Worriedmum42

Post by Worriedmum42 »

Thank you v much etienne, I am really grateful for your advice, will get to work putting the information together :)
Worriedmum42

Post by Worriedmum42 »

These are good questions, he saw a tutor for a year prior...she organised a mock which 46 children took part in from two local tutors. He did very well with overall third place and only 1 question wrong in the maths. Wasn't sure how useful this would be, the tutor is very supportive of my appeal and quite upset about what happened. Having read the information on this site though I get the impression that tutors may be a little of a taboo subject.
He hasn't done any maths challenges but maybe we could try and do something like that before the appeal.
He did get very anxious over night on a residential field trip with school earlier this year ( similar in that he got very upset, but as far as tests go he's been ok)
We do have good school reports so hopefully they will help.
The appeal sounds terrifying and makes me realise all the things we might have thought about before taking part in the 11 plus.
Really appreciate that there are people here with such good advice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KS2 test results won't be back in school until 5th July ... a bit late for appeals.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Online.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Wasn't sure how useful this would be, the tutor is very supportive of my appeal and quite upset about what happened. Having read the information on this site though I get the impression that tutors may be a little of a taboo subject.
Unlikely to be helpful for appeal purposes.
He did get very anxious over night on a residential field trip with school earlier this year ( similar in that he got very upset, but as far as tests go he's been ok)
This will need careful handling because you don't want the appeal panel to think that he won't cope with the pressures of grammar school. It's why I suggest "For your written submission in March just stick to the facts of what happened, and provide the evidence."
We can think about what to say at the appeal hearing nearer the time. You've enough to be getting on with for the present. :)
Etienne
zeinab

Post by zeinab »

Year 5 reports showing strong academic ability should be fine. Best of luck on your journey, you'll need it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now