School didn't follow advice

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Homebird

School didn't follow advice

Post by Homebird »

My DD2 has a hearing impairment and wears a hearing aid. She took 2 Grammar school entrance exams. Her Hearing Imapirment support teacher from the LA wrote to both Schools and gave them advice to follow in the exam including sitting her at the front and in a small room preferably carpeted.
One school, followed this advice and she passed by 14 marks. The other school sat her at the front of a large hall and she missed the pass mark by 6 points. Unfortunately, the one she didn't pass for is our preferred option as we are definitely in the catchment for this school and my DD1 already attends there. We are on the border of the catchment area for the school she passed for.
She has high academic ability and her primary school have written a letter to support this indicating that she is currently working above the expected level for Year 6 and her reading and spelling ages are 12.6 and 15.2 respectively (she only turned 10 in July). They have also indicated that she has made accelerated progress since she had her hearing aid fitted 3 years ago.
I intend to submit a case for local review as this is what the school has offered. I will send the primary school's letter, will indicate how well she did on the other exam in a small room and will re-send the advice that the hearing impairment service gave them. Do you think I need to include anything else?
Thanks
Etienne

Re: School didn't follow advice

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
Homebird wrote:Her Hearing Imapirment support teacher from the LA wrote to both Schools and gave them advice to follow in the exam including sitting her at the front and in a small room preferably carpeted.
Did the school in question not agree in writing to make these reasonable adjustments?
Normally one would expect an application for reasonable adjustments to be made, and for the admission authority to give its considered response.
I intend to submit a case for local review as this is what the school has offered.
It would be worth checking that an unsuccessful review will not disadvantage you if you subsequently go to appeal.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I will send the primary school's letter, will indicate how well she did on the other exam in a small room and will re-send the advice that the hearing impairment service gave them. Do you think I need to include anything else?
Difficult to say because an admission authority can make up its own rules for a review. Have they told you what the format of the review will be?
Probably wise to include as much academic evidence as possible:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now