curriculum

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

curriculum

Post by Guest »

Was just wondering would the school curriculum be valid ground for appeal?

My Son has a Spanish Grandmother and we would like him to go to a school that provides this as part of the normal curriculum.

He does his tests tomorrow but if he does not get in do we have valid ground if he gets allocated a school that does not offer Spanish?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Not for an appeal against non-qualification.

For an appeal against refusal to admit to an oversubscribed school, yes.

Regards
Etienne

Post by Guest »

Thanks

Does that mean you get told why you did not qualify?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would have thought so.

To go to an appeal, you have to have been refused. If you are refused, you are entitled to know why.

Regards
Etienne
Katie

Post by Katie »

I'm very interested in this topic and wonder what the position is if you are not given a reason other than "the chosen school is full". There seems to be wide differences in counties where schools have filled all P.A.N. places and still let children in on appeal, and counties where schools are allowed to stick to their P.A.N.
Depends where you live I think?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

schools have filled all P.A.N. places and still let children in on appeal
The schools have no choice - the appeal decision is binding on the admission authority (unless overturned at judicial review).
schools are allowed to stick to their P.A.N.
Not if the appeal panel decides otherwise ........ :D
Etienne
Katie

Post by Katie »

Thank you for your clarification. I think my main issue lies with the fact that the school's admission officer told us that our child would not be admitted long prior to the appeal, saying that the school was "full". She subsequently attended our hearing after agreeing not to and had to be asked to leave which was most embarrassing.
Essentially though - the school was permitted to use this defence! They continue to emply the same clerk for the eight year, and long term panel members - but the Ombudsman says this is ok - and as you know from my previous posts> that breaches of the code of practice are permissable as they are only guidelines!
It rumbles on! I will post you at once with information regarding any developements, however late in the day it may be for the child's education.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now