Length of tests? conflicting info, Gloucs 11+ Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
theseneschal

Length of tests? conflicting info, Gloucs 11+ Appeal

Post by theseneschal »

Hi, would anyone know the length of time each of the 11+ papers from the Gloucestershire 11+ tests took.

We're appealing for this years in take so it was the Sept 2015 exam.

I seem to have conflicting information from my daughter and the school and wondered if anyone here might be able to shed any light on it? Thank you.
cazien

Re: Length of tests? conflicting info, Gloucs 11+ Appeal

Post by cazien »

DD sat this test - she didn't have a watch so don't know exact timings, but said they had to be sat down by 9.00, had someone to talk for a few moments asking if they could hear CD etc, did the test, left the room after 10.00 and had a break for at least 20 mins, not sure what time they back in, but had to be seated for the second test which finished just before 12.00.

Each school should have near enough the same timings, but unless someone had a watch it would be difficult to give precise details of how long the tests lasted for. Is their a big time difference between your DD and the schools info?

The info books says both the tests should last between 45-50 minutes.

Surely the invigilators log should record all timings?
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Thanks cazien, that what I'd dug up 45-50 mins each but I'm getting an hour from the school which I can't figure out.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Could the hour include any practice questions at the start of the test paper?
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Thanks dc17c, did they have a practise this time do you know? I know DD1 did with the previous version of the exam but I hadn't realised this one did too. It could perhaps include instructions too I suppose.
NancyB

Post by NancyB »

If there was a practice section, I would expect that to be explained & timed on the CD that was played to the children. All the exam rooms in all the Gloucestershire schools used exactly the same CD with the same instructions. If the instructions were missing on one CD, then they would have been missing on all of them.

The only exception, I imagine, would be if the CD player broke down in the room and the invigilator had to go onto a manual script?
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

The school did get back and say approximately 1 hour per test I think that includes instructions so I'm happy now. When the preparation for the exam said two 45-50 minute tests I think I panicked.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now