How to appeal without knowing test score (Herts)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tense

How to appeal without knowing test score (Herts)

Post by tense »

I've been looking through the Q&A section on how to appeal based on academic evidence. Much store seems to be set (quite rightly) on a child missing out by only a point or two.

However, here in Herts, we never get to know what our children scored. I won't know whether my daughter was one point or 50 below those who qualified for the partially selective schools round here.

So if I needed to appeal I would be doing it blind. Surely this also means there are hundreds of appeals in Herts as you don't know how close your child was so you might as well appeal just in case it was a near miss...

Or am I missing something?!
Etienne

Re: How to appeal without knowing test score (Herts)

Post by Etienne »

It would appear so - unless someone from Herts. can shed more light on this.

It could be that the results will be included in the appeal papers (as part of the authority's case) when these are sent out a week or so before the hearing. Indeed, I think they should be, because it seems to me you are entitled to know exactly what the authority's case is. However, it would be tiresome to have this information so late, when you're already committed to an appeal - although you could always cancel if you thought it a lost cause.

The results might have to be disclosed under the Data Protection Act - but Schedule 7 says that the authority does not have to release exam/test results until five months after you have made the request ....... so not much help if you're thinking of an appeal!

Incidentally, if you're not given the results for an appeal, then the appeal panel should not have that information either.
Etienne