Do successful appeal kids cope well at grammar school?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Let us know Mel..

Good Luck..

AM
njg

Post by njg »

I have one child at a grammar after appeal who had her parents evening last night. So far they have no concerns whatsoever. However nearly all of them had her pass mark and y6 sats marks in front of them - interesting!
I have another child who is at a grammar after the 12+ and at his parents evening they expressed concern. Academically he is doing fine but his confidence is very low. HAving gone from being top of the tree at an upper to middle of the road at a grammar has knocked him quite hard. I have no doubt that we have done the right thing but we were so focused on whether he would be ok academically we kind of forgot about all the other stuff.
Now i have a y5 child who will no doubt be another borderline case. Again we will do everything we can to get him into a grammar because like it or not they will do all they can to support a child academically simply because they have more resources to do so. I have said all along that uppers still find it hard to support the more able because there is so much concentration on the less able. At the moment the only really fair system ins the comprehensive one and in Bucks we don't have that.
Road Runner

Melx

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Melw

Don't worry about kids teasing they won't. Kids are kids and once something is done its over and forgotten. My son knows boys in his school who got in on appeal and just this year they had 24 come in through the 12+ and makes no reference to them being different at all.

Goodness if someone had told you before all of this that he would get in no matter what you would of taken it, we all would. So don't worry you put him through the test as you believed he should be in Grammar school so stop thretting it will be fine and so will he a week into him being in he will be like all the others.

Good Luck
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I have only anecdotal evidence, but it all suggests - without exception - that children successful on appeal are treated no differently by their fellow pupils (or by teachers).
Etienne
MelW

Post by MelW »

Well I have just recieved the headmasters selection appeal summary sheet and it is all great apart from one thing - he has given him a 3 for Academic Potential.

He has given him 3 levels 5's, a 2 for Attitude to work, 133 NFER VR test result, 13 years and 1 month reading age (he is 10 and 4 months, middle in year group for Maths and English, 4 good comments and a statement of support (highlighting his young age) but a 3 for Academic Potential! How am I going to explain that?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mel

In your shoes I think I would do two things.

1. Find out from the head now why a "3".
2. The O. of S. was probably done at the beginning of November. To allow as much time as possible to pass by, I suggest trying to get a February hearing (it won't make any difference to your chances!) and writing on the appeal form "Not available in January". A week or two before the hearing I'd go and see the head, and ask if there's any chance of an update saying that your son has improved in the last few months and, if the O. of S. were being done at this point in time, he would be a "2".

Best I can do!
Etienne
MelW

Post by MelW »

My son is at an independent school so no oos. He has left that blank because it does not apply. He has marked a 3 and then put - can underperform. However he then goes on to give him a 2 for attitude - 'independent, hard working, reliable' so that does not seem to add up. Plus my son has consistently been given a B grades over the years (and a fair few 'A's) on his reports for 'above average' effort!? If you are putting in above average effort, have a good attitude how can you sometimes be under performing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I sympathise with you, and clearly you need to discuss with the head. However, it won't be easy for him to back down now - it might be easier a week or two before the hearing if your son has made "further strides" ........
Etienne
MelW

Post by MelW »

In your experience do you think it is going to be a major issue?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Well, it's an issue. Certainly panels like to see a "1" or a "2" - or a very good explanation.

The other academic evidence you've mentioned looks fine, but I don't recall your son's scores ........
Etienne