CAT VR scores

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Hopeful mum!

CAT VR scores

Post by Hopeful mum! »

Does anyone know just how much emphasis is put on the Year 5 CAT verbal reasoning scores?
My daughter scored 118 in last years CAT tests and I've heard that the panel will be looking for scores in the high 20's/30's for verbal reasoning.
Given that all her other results are favourable will this VR score go against her at appeal???
It seems unfair if this is the case as apparently not all schools even take the CAT tests!
Etienne

Re: CAT VR scores

Post by Etienne »

I think a panel would be interested in a CAT VR score, although one has to be cautious about attaching too much weight to a single result.

It's not "unfair". The mix of evidence presented at an appeal varies from case to case. Private schools, for example, often don't do SATs. And what about children from schools abroad, or children who have been out of education with medical problems, or children from another authority whose LA forbids headteachers from providing 11+ recommendations for political reasons?

If an appellant lacks certain evidence such as CAT scores or KS2 predictions or a headteacher's report, it doesn't follow that they are at an advantage - the rest of their case has to be that much more compelling. Nobody gets the benefit of the doubt!
Etienne
Vivienne

Post by Vivienne »

I'm similarly confused about CAT scores. We're appealing for my son who has missed a lot of schooling over the past few years due to a chronic medical condition (have hospital letters etc) and is dyslexic. His 11+ scores were 117 and 114. I don't know whether to mention his CAT scores of VR 103, 119 Maths and 125 NVR. Am I right in thinking the VR is average and the others above average. Or is it better not to mention them at all- I think the discrepancy highlights his dyslexia. His SATs predictions are 5s for Maths and Science but 4 for Engish.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Vivienne

Yes, anything over 100 is above average in CATs. Of course, the 11+ standard is not just "above average" but "well-above average"! My feeling is that panels would usually like to see CAT scores in the mid-120s.

The NVR 125 is very good, and I agree that the discrepancy in your son's scores points to the dyslexia. Worth mentioning in my view. And, if you have a printout of the results, draw the panel's attention to where it suggests there's a 90% chance that the "true score" lies within such and such a range - in other words, a single set of results is only a rough estimate.

I think he did well to get 117.

Regards
Etienne
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

for most purposes "average" is seen as being between 85 and 115.

anything above or below thses scores is statistically significant