Help on Appeal !!

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

worried_mum

Re: Help on Appeal !!

Post by worried_mum »

Hi Sally-Anne/Etienne,

In view of the appeal nearing very soon , can you please advice me ....(if possible today .... ) few of my questions :

1. Should we add after every point of academic evidence while speaking - Please refer to appendix no .. (will it be helpful for them to relate or will be tough to look at that time on each appendix ??)
2. How long should the presentation be ?
3. Can we read it out ? Though I am trying to remember it but still I am feeling quite nervous.
4. Should we mention Kumon Level G - attainment in primary school , or just completely leave it out , as it may sound tutored child ? We have sent his certificate as an academic evidence earlier .
5. Should I address the Panel Members by their last names as sent to us in Appeal papers, in the beginning of the presentation?

We aim to arrive 30 mins early , so we can just compose ourselves beforehand.... will need all the good luck ...:(.

Looking forward for your very helpful responses . Thanks :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am not either of those good souls but I can have a go at 1, 3, 4 and 5 and others can disagree if necessary.

1. I wouldn't do that. And I don't think you need to repeat stuff which you have written either - maybe just say that you have sent academic evidence in the appendices and they can ask you about it if they wish.

3. I wouldn't do that either. Do you actually have a lot to add to what you have written? If not then maybe all you need to do is summarise why you want your DC to go to the school you have appealed for, and let them ask you stuff.

4. Best not mentioned at all imho. Kumon is not universally valued.

5. Do you need to refer to them by name? 'Thank you all for listening to our case' will probably be all you need to do in terms of a direct address won't it?

Friendly advice, no more - happy to be contradicted. Good luck.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

1. Should we add after every point of academic evidence while speaking - Please refer to appendix no .. (will it be helpful for them to relate or will be tough to look at that time on each appendix ??)
This clearly won't work if you're referring them to something lengthy such as a WISC report in its entirety.

On the other hand, if you followed the advice in the Q&As and underlined the most important information in advance (such as "His Full-Scale IQ is 125 and he is at 95th Percentile"), then it would be easy to draw their attention to it.
    • A53. It’s a very good idea to draw attention to the main points, but this is best done by underlining in black ink and/or by drawing vertical black lines by the side of key paragraphs.
2. How long should the presentation be ?
Q&As, A9?
3. Can we read it out ? Though I am trying to remember it but still I am feeling quite nervous.
Q&As, A10?
4. Should we mention Kumon Level G - attainment in primary school , or just completely leave it out , as it may sound tutored child ? We have sent his certificate as an academic evidence earlier .
I wouldn't mention it.
5. Should I address the Panel Members by their last names as sent to us in Appeal papers, in the beginning of the presentation?
Unnecessary!

Good luck!
Etienne
worried_mum

Post by worried_mum »

Appeal was rejected ...even after providing so much evidences .

But my son has been offered a place through waiting list :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: ...
Very Very Happy MUM Now

Appeal experience was quite good , though I was quite nervous.
It was quite tough, though the panel looked quite helpful.

One thing me and my husband were wondering - Do the panel members ask the same question (e.g. they asked about school's infrastructure to accommodate one extra pupil ) in every hearing ...felt quite strange.

Thank you so Etienne, Sally-Anne, Guest55 and others for your invaluable suggestions :D :D
Over the moon now :D :D :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Congratulations, and I am very pleased for you and him. It's rather sweet that although the appeal failed, he got a place from the list anyway! It's not the first time, but it is fairly rare. The EP report suggests to me that he would do well in any school, but it's great that you have your first preference now.
worried_mum wrote:One thing me and my husband were wondering - Do the panel members ask the same question (e.g. they asked about school's infrastructure to accommodate one extra pupil ) in every hearing ...felt quite strange.
They may have heard the school's case quite a few times before in previous years, so they just ask the same questions. School cases rarely change substantially unless there is major development work or significant other changes.

Realistically, where a school has a dozen or so appeals, the likelihood of their case being overturned at Stage 1 is very small because few schools could admit that number of children without prejudicing efficient education.

Stage 1 then becomes a "ritual exercise", and I rather admire panel members for showing even a faint interest in the proceedings!