Appeal lodged half-heartedly (non-qualification)- now what?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
UnsureMum

Appeal lodged half-heartedly (non-qualification)- now what?

Post by UnsureMum »

Hi all,

My child didn't pass the 11+ and only scored 210 when 236 was needed (we're in Wirral).

Since finding out that there are over 20 places still available at the school that my child wanted I've lodged an appeal albeit half-heartedly.

I'm not expecting much from the appeal with the score being so low but after contacting the head of the grammar school I was encouraged to put in an appeal.

I was told that if the non-verbal reasoning test undertaken in year 5 was less than 117 they wouldn't advise appealing. The score was 118.

My child's end of year 5 levels were 5c in reading, 4b in writing and within band 5 for maths. My child is expected to achieve 'above age related expectations' in all 3 areas by the end of the year (very subjective since level descriptors have been removed). After recently attending parent's evening my child's teacher believes that the progress made since year 5 has come on in leaps and bounds.

There were a few mitigating factors including: an irritating cough/cold not severe enough for a day off school (or trip to the GP) but certainly a distraction whilst under going a test, my child's father and I (who have been divorced for years) had been having a few disagreements at the time which inevitably caused upset and I had gone from part time work to undertaking an intensive full time course (including study and long placement shifts) so wasn't around as much as usual.

I didn't raise these points with the headteacher at the time for several reasons but ultimately I didn't think I'd appeal the school place. It was only when my child was so upset at having not passed and finding out that there are still places that we decided to try an appeal. My child didn't receive any tutoring, it was out of our price range (my child is in receipt of free school meals).

I've read everywhere that I would need a letter of support from our current headteacher. However, the school have told me that they don't do this and have only provided me with one brief piece A4 with my child's yr 5 levels, current levels, end of year 6 expectations, yr 5 verbal reasoning score and one sentence saying that my child is 'determined, listens and acts on advice' (they've also spelt my child's name wrong).

I'm posting to basically see if anyone thinks that there is any point in pursuing this? Are the points raised likely to be relevant? Will the remaining places at the school likely affect the decision making process?

Thanks in advance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now