11+ Paper Was Switched-Upset Kids Results. Appeals Advice??

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mother appealing

Post by mother appealing »

At the beginning of October the whole of my daughters class sat papers in exam conditions which were meant to be as close to the real 11 plus as possible. These were taken to help the parents come to a decision on whether their child should sit the 11 plus or not. I personally think that these were a true reflectionof my childs capabilities as my child wasn't under any pressure (but then I would say that as I am clutching at straws).
I don't find you're comments harsh, you're just being honest, I would probably say the same if it wasn't my child it was effecting, I just hope that you are wrong.
Anyway, I have read the 'book', which gave some great advice, but where it said you need a few good 'key points' when presenting your case is it best to use your strongest 'key point' first or save it till last.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mother Appealing

Bucks section....Appeals [ the one with over 13000 visitors page 3 on wards ] Advice offered by Etienne, you may not be in Bucks, but the guidance will be the same.

Patricia
guest101

mock 11+ tests in Kent

Post by guest101 »

The mock tests refer you refer to sound as though they were the same ones that my stepson had at a Kent primary school ... except I think that he did the maths at the end of the summer term, and the VR and NVR round about the time that you said.

I can't remember his exact marks, but his maths rose from somewhere roundabout the 120 level in the mock, to 140 in the real thing. His marks rose significantly in all subjects. I don't know if this is typical for marks to rise beween the Kent mock and the real thing. Perhaps if your headteacher is helpful you could ask him/her. If an improvement is typical, and in general marks fell in this school in maths between the mock and the real thing, counter to the normal trend in this school and elsewhere and in other subjects, this might help you to show that the mix-up did have an effect that day on the maths.

Perhaps the headteacher will also be able to give you some idea whether the mock tests are usually accepted by Kent appeals panels as good evidence. If not, there may be other measures of maths ability that you could use which show that your child is in the top 25% of maths performance.

Good luck!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Guest (16th March)
"If a parent got an application in a couple of days late and because of that was offered a school 15 miles away, despite having a sibling at the local school would an appeal tribunal be sympathetic?" - I think the answer is "not necessarily"! Deadlines are deadlines, but if the parent could show that there was good reason for the late application (e.g. illness) and that there will be serious problems if the children are at different schools, the case would stand a better chance.

Dear Mother Appealing
"When presenting your case is it best to use your strongest 'key point' first or save it till last?" - I honestly don't think it will make the slightest difference. Present all your academic arguments together, and then your mitigating circumstances. Or you could do it the other way round. It's the strength of your arguments that matters, rather than how you present them.
Etienne
worried

11+paper was switched

Post by worried »

Etienne your advice is excellent but I seem to have found it too late.Our appeal has been submitted now but am really worried that we should have included more evidence in it.Would you advise that we take anything extra with us on the day or submit it late?
We did not have the benefit of any "advice " and simply presented it the best way we could.We have had wonderful support from the school which has helped.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear worried

If you have any further supporting evidence, it's usually best (time permitting) to send it in with a letter asking if it could be included with your original submission. This gives the panel the opportunity to study all the papers in advance.

Good luck
Etienne
mother appealing

Would just like to say thank you to Patricia, Guest 101 and Etienne for all your really helpful advice. Had a look at Bucks-Appeals and it gave great tips. Am feeling less confident of a successful appeal after reading certain parts of it but do believe that everything happens for a reason and at least I have done everything I can for my child. Thanks again. :roll:
mother appealing

failed appeal

I have just found out that I have failed my appeal, am obviously upset, but not willing to give up the fight. The school I appealed for allocated 187 places for 186 spaces. My childs school was the one that had the mix up with the maths paper. I believe in my heart of hearts that the grammar school is the right school for my child but don't know what to do next. Have been told that my next step is the Ombudsman re Maladministration, can anyone offer me any advice as to what happens next pleeeeeeease. Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Very sorry to hear your news, mother appealing.

I'm afraid that, provided the appeal panel gave proper consideration to your arguments, and provided there was no significant fault in the panel's procedures, it is most unlikely that the ombudsman can intervene.

For further information, go to the home page of this website, select 11+ appeals, and scroll down to no. 29.

Kind regards
Etienne
mother appealing

Dear Etienne
Thank you so very much for your advice, unfortunately I can't find the 11+ appeals page you recommended, am I just being stupid?????