Appeal tomorrow. Please help - urgent

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Scoobydoomark2

Appeal tomorrow. Please help - urgent

Post by Scoobydoomark2 »

We are appealing for a school which my daughter passed for but was then one of the few to narrowly miss out on ranking. This appeal was driven by my daughter- she was all for it. However now she is wavering and saying she wants to go to the offered school instead. I can't work out whether she is lacking confidence for the grammar school or truly thinks she's better off in the allocated school. Though I do think she's scared of me winning the appeal because she's not 100% sure she wants to go there.
If we went to appeal and won would we have to take the place? I know this is a silly question because we shouldn't appeal unless we truly think it's the best thing for her. It's just her revelation is so 11th hour it's difficult to know what to do. Going to the appeal and still having the option if we won would buy us so much more time to get to the bottom of her true wishes. The appeal starts tomorrow!
catcool

Re: Appeal tomorrow. Please help - urgent

Post by catcool »

No you do not have to take the place up if you win the the appeal
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

I have an appeal in June for my dc and can understand the pressure you're all under. It's no fun.

Sorry if this adds to your thought process but please consider that an appeal panel will only have a certain amount of places available to award.

If you were lucky enough to get a place but didn't ultimately want it, it might stop another child who really does want it getting a place
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It could be that she is trying to preotect herself and you from disappointment. If you get a place she may feel very different.
Munster

Post by Munster »

Isn't it best to respect what your daughter's wishes are? I know I would want my DC to be happy and at the end of the day they will be at that school for a number of years.

I actually agree with what thesenschal says. It would free up a potential place for a child who really does want it. It would be really heartbreaking for a child to miss out if it came down to your daughter and their daughter, your daughter was chosen, you declined the place and the other child missed out. It is just a thought.

Do you mean that your daughter was ranked and is on the waiting list but has to appeal?
Scoobydoomark2

Post by Scoobydoomark2 »

Hermanmunster - that is exactly what I hope she is not doing but I can't be sure.

She is so unsure of herself that she has changed her mind again! Now she wants to go to the grammar school. She has been back and forth all weekend. Part of me thinks she's too young at just turned 11 to have so big a decision. Historically there's actually quite a good chance of getting in on appeal which is why we have to consider that she may well be successful. This would be a disaster if she's dead set on going to the other school and then we had to accept.
Munster

Post by Munster »

Yes it such a big decision at such a young age, especially if they have just turned 11!! I know of 3 children who's birthdays all fall at the end of August so if they were to take the grammar school test and passed, they would only just be 11 going to grammar school

All the best but your daughter needs to be happy that's what counts as one is a long time at school
Scoobydoomark2

Post by Scoobydoomark2 »

Her being happy is all that I want. Everything else will fall into place on the back of that.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Go for the appeal as if you don't that option is gone forever.
Worry about whether to take the place or not if and when you win.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

Dd has wavered a little but we have agreed that if she wins the appeal we will give it a year (or 7) and see how it goes. We are lucky though that she should be able to get back into her allocated school quite easily. I think that it is largely self-preservation that they doubt it, and if she didn't have the possibility of the appeal then she might focus on another aspect of secondary transfer. Good luck tomorrow.