Duration of appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Munster

Duration of appeals

Post by Munster »

Could someone tell me how many appeals are heard in one day? Does the panel stick to school times? What is the normal duration of any one appeal (how much time do the panel allow for one case to be heard)
Sally-Anne

Re: Duration of appeals

Post by Sally-Anne »

Munster wrote:Could someone tell me how many appeals are heard in one day?
It will vary from area to area, but 7 or 8 appeals in one day would be reasonably common.
Does the panel stick to school times?
No, they will usually do a full business day of approximately 9 - 5.
What is the normal duration of any one appeal (how much time do the panel allow for one case to be heard)
It should be as long as is required. Most cases will last around 30 - 40 minutes, but a complex case might sometimes take 2 hours or more. If subsequent appeals run late as a result, so be it. Sometimes cases are even postponed to another day if the panel is running very late.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Sally-Anne wrote:
It should be as long as is required. Most cases will last around 30 - 40 minutes, but a complex case might sometimes take 2 hours or more. If subsequent appeals run late as a result, so be it. Sometimes cases are even postponed to another day if the panel is running very late.
I do have memory a adjourning one appeal after the first hour so our clerk could tell the people waiting outside about the delay. One of them was allowed to go to a hospital appointment 30 miles away, then came back at the end of the day. We also had to cut our lunch break from 1 hour to 5 mins and trim the built in coffee breaks on that day. I also strongly remember the appeal that caused the delay.
Capers
Munster

Post by Munster »

Thank you for all your input. Just one other question though. Are appeals normally dealt with in alphabetical order?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Not "normally", but it will just depend on the Appeals Team and how they work. Some might file paperwork alphabetically (more likely when there are a small number of appeals for an individual academy) but larger appeal teams will allocate each appeal a case number as the cases roll in, and they will be heard in that order, subject to any limitations on availability that the parents have specified.
Munster

Post by Munster »

Thank you Sally-Anne you have been really helpful :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now